Chapter 16:.....Enamored

"I don't think all that love just suddenly evaporates, sweetie." Dr. Wells said, comforting Ember, who had returned from the fight with her father a week and a half ago but still felt wonky about the whole thing.

"What do you mean, Doc?" Ember asked as she stared down at her kitchen table in her little yellow house.

"I mean, sweetie, you still love him deep down, and what happened between the two of you all those years ago and what just happened only a short while ago is truly terrible. And he's not really available to be in your life anymore, but –" Dr. Wells trailed off softly.

"Geez, Doc, I thought this was supposed to be a pep talk," Ember said, taking her eyes off the table and putting them directly toward Dr. Wells, who just smiled.

"But, as I was saying," Dr. Wells said with a grin, "all that loyalty and caring you had for him can perhaps become something wonderful for someone else." Dr. Wells smiled. "You have a lot of love to give inside there." Dr. Wells said, pointing at Ember's heart.

"And blood vessels and veins," Ember said, smiling.

"Hopefully, not any clogged coronary arteries, though. I noticed somebody hasn't been sticking to their approved meal plan lately." Dr. Wells said, gesturing to the kitchen trash can containing various bags of junk food. "Where are you getting that stuff?"

"A magician never reveals her secrets, Doc." Ember smiled. "But anyway, love? You think I could love someone, and they could actually love me back?"

"Of course I do, sweetie. I already know there are people in this world that care about you deeply." Dr. Wells smiled and reached across the table to hold Ember's hand. "You've just got to start believing that you're someone special who deserves it."

"Right, special," Ember said sarcastically, pulling away from Dr. Wells.

"Yes, special." Dr. Wells said with a smile. "Now, let's get you to school!" Dr. Wells said as she got up from the table and draped the strap of her messenger bag across herself.

"Yay! Another day of school!" Ember said sarcastically. "You know, at first, I was excited to feel like a normal kid going to school, but I'm realizing that school kind of –"

                                                                     ---------

"SUCKS!!! This fucking sucks!" Kaeran muttered under her breath.

"Why so glum, chum?" Ember asked Kaeran, who had been scribbling in her notebook, waiting for lab biology to start.

"Well, for one thing, this class insists upon itself. I get it already: living things are made of cells, they reproduce through mitosis or meiosis, cells contain D.N.A., changes in D.N.A. lead to mutation, some characteristics are preferred, which gives us natural selection and evolution, we trace these traits through our parents and their parents and so on giving us a list of our hereditary traits, and all living things live in ecosystems, support each other, and eventually die. Also, just look at everyone." Kaeran said, gesturing to the room.