Chapter 3:.....Empowered Part II

"What the hell was that?" asked Ember, addressing no one in particular.

"Hmmm," said Dr. Wells as she pointed her portable scanning device at Ember, scanned her a few times, read something off its screen, and then put it back in her messenger bag. "Ember, point your finger at that tree right over there."

"Like this?" asked Ember curiously, making a gun-shape with her pointer finger and thumb. "Exactly!" said Dr. Wells excitedly. "Now concentrate on your finger, and I know how much you

don't want to, but think about the day in the park that you came to us. Think about your friend Morgan."

Did I not mention that Ember had told Dr. Wells pretty much everything about that day in the park? Although she seemed mad and absurd most of the time, Dr. Wells was quite brilliant, perceptive, and kind (though sometimes her love of scientific inquiry led her to forget the latter). She was the only person who ever showed interest in talking to Ember. There were indeed some things – many things – that Ember kept to herself because she knew Dr. Wells, along with everyone at E-Corp., reported back to Abraham, but that fateful day in the park was not one of those things. She found that she had to tell someone about that.

"Every time I hear her name, it brings me back to that day." Ember began. The very tip of her finger began to glow purple. "I'm so sorry, Morgan," she winced out. That's when a violent purple blast shot out her finger, ripping through a tree that happened to be in its path.

"Holy shit! Did I do that?" said Ember, imitating Steve Urkel. "But in all seriousness, Doc, what's wrong with me today?"

"Well, sweetie. It looks like it's energy projection today. Your body is absolutely radiating with a severe excess amount of your special brand of energy – more than usual, in fact. If you concentrate on an object and any of your body parts while simultaneously holding yourself in certain states of emotion, you can project your energy as a weapon from that part of your body. The more powerful your memory, the more powerful the emotion, the more powerful the energy blast. Isn't that wonderful?!"

"Wonderful? Doc, how long have you known me again? Do I ever find these little surprises wonderful? And any part of my body? Well, now I really wish I had a dick," sighed Ember.

"Haha, I'm so sorry, sweetie, but you are full of wonder. Sometimes I just love studying you," laughed Dr. Wells.

"So, what am I supposed to do just go about the day even though I am literally an explosion waiting to happen?" Ember asked, utterly distressed.

"That is exactly what you will do," interjected Abraham. "You are up here on the surface because we can no longer shield the world from your power, and you need more motivation to control yourself. Perhaps endangering the lives of everyone here in the world is just what you need."

"Damn Abraham. That's cold – even for you. I thought E-Corp. was all about preserving all life on this planet or some shit. Why would you allow a walking-talking time bomb like me to just stroll into a normal high school?" grumbled Ember.

"Because," Abraham said, now approaching Ember slowly. "I will always be about preserving all life on this planet, including yours, and so will this company. You need to learn what our company motto is all about, and what better way to do that than to teach you responsibility, control, and, most notably, to remind you of one of the most precious things we are trying to protect: humanity. This is, unfortunately, how we all failed Erin, but I am determined not to let history repeat itself. So, Ms. Crimson, shall we take you to school now?" posed Abraham as he extended his hand.