45 - safe haven

You were walking down the beach with Minho, talking to him about everything that happened while he was gone. It felt like old times, back in the glade.

"And then Thomas put the mop on his head and imitated Vince, he didn't talk to Thomas for an entire week." You chuckled along with Minho.

You stopped once you saw Thomas walking out of his tent, holding the side where he'd been shot. Walking up to him, you and Minho hugged your brother.

You sobbed into his chest, happy that at least he was okay. In the evening, you sat down around a bonfire, listening to Vince's speech like you did a couple of days ago.

"We have come a long way together. So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible. Your friends and your family. So here's to the ones who couldn't be here. Here's to the friends we lost. This place is for you. It's for all of us. But this..." he pointed to a huge stone. "... this is for them. So, in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace. And welcome to the Save Haven!" He finished as everyone cheered.

Later, you sat on one of the benches, a piece of paper clutched close to your chest. You read every word over and over again as tears fell down your cheeks.

Dear Y/N,
This is the first letter I can remember writing. Obviously I don't know if I wrote any before the maze, but even if its not my first its likely to be my last. I want you to know that I'm not scared. Well not of dying anyway, it's more forgetting, it's losing myself to this virus, that's what scares me. It's forgetting you that scares me.
So every night I've been saying their names out loud, Alby, Winston, Chuck, and I just repeat them over and over like a prayer and it all comes flooding back.
Just the little things, like the way the sun used to hit the glade at that perfect moment right before it hit the walls and I remember the taste of Frypan's stew, I never thought I'd miss that stuff so much. And I remember you... I remember the first time you came up in the box, you weren't scared of us, more like intrigued. A beautiful little greenie who couldn't even remember her own name. But from that moment I first looked into your eyes, I knew I would follow you anywhere. And I have. If I could do it all over again, I would, and I wouldn't change a thing.
And my hope for you is when you're looking back years from now, you'll be able to say the same thing. The future's in your hands now Y/N, and I know you will find a way to do what's right, you always have. Take care of everyone for me, and take care of yourself. You deserve to be happy. Don't mourn too much, even though a little mourning would be appreciated.

Thank you for being the love of my life.

I love you so much.

Yours, Newt

"I told you not to read that over and over again. See what it does to you? It made you cry again." A voice spoke up from behind you.

You turned around, smiling slightly upon hearing him. "I couldn't help it. It's too beautiful not to read again." You spoke once he sat down next to you and pulled you close.

"Well, every word I wrote is true. You truly are the most beautiful greenie. And you're the love of my life. I'm thankful you got to me on time, even though the sting still hurts." Newt chuckled, rubbing the spot on his chest where you'd stabbed the vile into.

"I'm glad you're okay. And I'm glad Thomas took the only vile with the actual cure with him. I'm surprised it was still intact once the guys picked him up."

Thomas, Gally, Minho, Brenda, Fry, Jorge, Aris, Sonya and Harriet sat down around you, giving you a sense of home and family. They were your family, and you were finally home.

With Newt.