02. librarian shenanigans

⋆ 2 ⋆

Jisung stands dumbly at the entrance of Pixie's Pages: a quaint and whimsical library in the heart of Arcana Isle's shopping center

What began as a small, humble bookstore has grown to become a haven for all things magical and mythical.

Lee Felix (a.k.a. "Pixie"), the eponymous owner, is a passionate collector of folklore and ancient artifacts—and the bookstore turned full-fledged library is his way of sharing his love for the strange and the unknown.

The library walls are lined with shelves of books on every topic imaginable, from merpeople to dragons to demons —it's like a portal to a world of mythical creatures and forgotten histories. Jisung feels like a kid in a candy store as he meanders through the aisles.

Jisung walks towards the back of the library, his eyes taking in all the books with wonder. He passes by the section on merpeople and halts abruptly, his gaze landing on a book titled Breaking the Curse. It's the one Chan recommended.

He snags the book from its respective shelf and flips through the pages to size up its length, heart pounding in his chest. Could this be the answer he's looking for?

Jisung plops down in a chair and starts reading, his eyes quickly scanning the pages. The book was written by Kang Seojin, a renowned researcher in merpeople studies.

"The power of a curse lies in its ability to transform the most ordinary of people into something extraordinary. And by extraordinary, I mean unlucky," the blurb reads on the rear end of a hardback cover. Jisung gulps. "Good news is, I was once cursed by that putrid merfolk and successfully broke it. This book is a how-to guide on how you can break the curse for yourself."

Jisung chews anxiously on his bottom lip, remembering the second book Chan advised him to check out.

Sure, Kang Seojin's novel sounds like it's the gateway to all the answers Jisung needs and wants, but the sources aren't viable and for all Jisung knows, the novel could be a cheap cash-grab filled with fear-mongering and suspense tactics.