One More Night

3'rd Person POV

Over the next several days, Tom began his campaign to win Ivy's trust back. It was an uphill battle, one where the odds seemed insurmountably stacked against him. Ivy's faith in him had been shaken, her trust broken, and her heart wounded. But Tom wasn't ready to give up. Not now, not ever.

He reached out to her, texted her, and left voicemails. But she wouldn't respond. She was hurting, he knew. She needed time, and he was ready to give her that. But he needed her to know the truth, too.

One evening, Tom gathered all his courage and decided to visit Ivy in person. He stood outside her apartment, knocking lightly on the door. There was no response.

"Ivy, please, let me explain," he pleaded through the door. "I didn't... I didn't sleep with anyone else. I promise."

"Why should I believe you, Tom?" Ivy's voice, barely audible through the door, was cold and distant.

"Because I love you, Ivy," Tom said, his voice breaking. "And I would never... never do something to hurt you. Not intentionally."

"Isn't that what you did, Tom?" Ivy retorted, her words sharp. "You hurt me. You told me you slept with someone else. How can I trust you now?"

Tom's heart ached at her words. He leaned against the door, a deep sigh escaping his lips. "Ivy, I swear on everything we've built together... I was drunk that night, I woke up in a bed that wasn't ours, and I... I jumped to conclusions. But it wasn't true."

Silence.

Tom continued, "Bill told me it was his friend's room. She was helping out because I was too drunk. Ivy, please believe me..."

More silence.

Finally, the door cracked open. Ivy stood there, her eyes puffy and red. But she didn't say anything. She just looked at Tom, her gaze filled with pain and uncertainty.

"Ivy, I will prove it to you. I will do everything, anything it takes to earn your trust back. I love you, Ivy."

"Ivy, I will prove it to you. I will do everything, anything it takes to earn your trust back. I love you, Ivy," Tom declared, his eyes brimming with sincerity.

Ivy's gaze remained fixed on him, her eyes glazed over with a mix of emotions. "Why, Tom?" she finally asked, her voice barely above a whisper. "Why did you lie to me in the first place?"

Tom swallowed hard, battling his own rising emotions. "I... I was confused, Ivy. I woke up in a bed that wasn't ours, with a condom wrapper on the floor... I just... I assumed the worst and jumped to conclusions."

Ivy shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes. "That's what you thought of us? That you could... just... just go off with someone else?"

"No, no, Ivy... That's not it," Tom said, desperate to make her understand. "I thought I had messed up, that I had betrayed you, betrayed us... I was horrified at myself... I thought I owed you the truth."

"But it wasn't the truth, Tom," Ivy said, her voice shaking. "You broke my heart over something that didn't happen."

"I know... I know, Ivy," Tom admitted, his voice choked with regret. "And I'm sorry. I can't change what's happened, but I can promise you it won't happen again. I love you. And I will spend every day proving that to you."

For a long moment, Ivy remained silent, her gaze never leaving Tom's. Finally, she spoke. "I... I need time, Tom," she said, her voice barely audible. "I need... I need to think."

Tom nodded, understanding the gravity of his actions. "Take all the time you need, Ivy," he said, his voice filled with respect for her decision. "Just... just know that I'll be here, waiting for you. No matter how long it takes."