Chapter 10 ~ In the Enchanted Forest

Ashlynn's POV
Why did this have to happen? Why hadn't Apple approve of her liking Hunter? Didn't she believe in happily-ever-afters? Just because of liking a Rebel, Apple had screamed at her like she was going to start World War 3! What's wrong with Royals and Rebels mixing together anyway, it's not like they are going to kill us. It looks more like you were trying to kill me, Apple!

All these crazy, confused thoughts whirled in her mind as she ran out of the Castleteria. She just couldn't take it anymore. Her BFFA screaming at her in the Castleteria in front of everybody was too horrible to bear, she didn't even notice herself running out of EAH. At least now she was alone, surrounded by the serenity of the Enchanted Forest. The thick foliage only let glimmers of sun rays to peek through, creating a golden and calming effect. She slowed down her pace and made her way to the spot where she had last seen her Huntsman building the birdhouse.

"Hi princess! What's the matter? Why are you crying?"

"Oh, nice to see you Mama Robin. It's just that..." Ashlynn poured out her story between sobs as she sat under the birdhouse, hugging her knees to her chin.

"Oh poor child, don't you worry about Apple! I'm sure she will calm down soon and apologies to you. Meanwhile, don't let her tell you who to love. Follow your own heart, not others' words."

"Thank you Mama Robin! I feel much better now!" Ashlynn smiled in between her sobs as she looked up to see Mama Robin's head poking out of the birdhouse.

Footsteps and rustling caught her attention and she swung her head back to see who had approached.

"H...hi Ashlynn. Am I interrupting anything?"

Oh my fairy godmother! Hunter...

"H...hi Hunter! No, you're not interrupting anything." This was way better than her entire shoe collection! The way his hazel eyes gazed at her was enough to make her swoon right then and there.

"May I sit down beside you? Or...would you rather me go away?" Hunter was now blushing and looking away.

"Of course you can sit down!" Who would want him to go away?! Ashlynn moved a little and patted the space beside her. Hunter went and sat down crossed-leg next to her.

For a few minutes, everything was awkward and silent, both of them just looking and playing with the grass, but Ashlynn was enjoying it just the same. Until Hunter broke the silence.

"That was a pretty...intense fight you had there. What happened?" Hunter now shifted so that he was looking at Ashlynn's face.

"Nothing much, just that my BFFA screamed at me or anyone for the first time..."

"There has to be a reason, don't worry you can tell me about it." Ashlynn looked up into his caring and imploring eyes. But how could one tell him the reason of the fight was because of him?

"It's... It's about Royals and Rebels. About how we have to stay apart, not being able to befriend each other," Ashlynn mumbled as she looked away from Hunter, trying as hard as she could to avoid the main reason. Ashlynn looked at Hunter and the confused look on his face.

"But Apple hangs out with Raven! And Maddie too!"

"She says that's different, Raven is needed in her destiny and the only way to get Raven to be with her,  is to befriend Raven's BFFA too. Whereas me... A rebel is not needed to find the maiden who lost her glass slipper..."

"That's okay! Aren't I with you now?" Hunter moved over and placed his arm over Ashlynn's shoulder, slowly at first but gradually warmed about it.

"I'm glad you are." Ashlynn blushed at his gesture and leaned against his chest.

In the serenity and cover of the forest, the howl of a wolf was heard.