Chapter 11 ~ Direwolf Pup

Hunter's POV
A wolf. Hunter tensed. He felt Ashlynn tense too. Just great, he was enjoying the love-filled moment with Ashlynn when something had to come along and ruin it. Reluctantly, he removed his arm from around Ashlynn's shoulder and stood up, ready to defend her with his life. Wolves weren't common in this part of the Enchanted Forest and if they're here, there must be a reason, not a very good reason.

"Stay behind me Ashlynn," he mumbled. Behind him, he heard Ashlynn scrambling to her feet.

The howl came again, sending a chill down his spine. It seemed nearer too, since his Huntsman senses sent a tingling feeling throughout him. Although he wasn't a Charming, he still saved damsels-in-distress and this sixth sense was essential.

A rustle was heard from a nearby bush and out came a wolf.

"Don't worry! I'm here to save you!" Hunter ripped off his shirt and lunged towards the wolf. A fanfare of trumpets were heard as he tackled the wolf. It was a Huntsman thing. He tried to punch it but it moved too fast for his fists. Then he saw its mouth wide open, jaws hanging over his face.

"Noooo! Don't eat me!" Hunter yelled as the wolf's mouth closed over his face. Closing his eyes, he awaited the impending pain or even death, but that never came. Instead, he felt something wet over his cheeks again and again. He heard Ashlynn giggling too. He opened his eyes and saw a wolf. A wolf pup, licking his cheeks just like a friendly little puppy.

"No Carmine! Sit!" More rustling followed as a hooded figure appeared from the bushes. Cerise Hood, Daughter of Little Red Riding Hood, ran over to Hunter as she tried to pull her direwolf pup away from the poor Huntsman. When the wolf pup was wrestled away from Hunter, Hunter sat up and looked back at Ashlynn. She was trying hard to stifle her giggles.

"Fancy you being scared of my little direwolf pup!" Cerise smirked as she let Carmine loose to go play with Ashlynn. Hunter turned back and laughed.

"Well, a Huntsman must always be prepared. Wolfs don't usually appear in these parts of the Enchanted Forest."

"Speaking of that, why are you and Ashlynn in the Enchanted Forest?" Cerise countered as she raised her eyebrows. Well asked, Cerise. Well asked. Because Ashlynn is the fairest maiden I've ever seen? Hunter racked his brains in search of an answer but all his responses would end up revealing a little more than friendship. Finally, Hunter gave up and answered as vaguely as he could.

"Well, Ashlynn was crying in the Enchanted Forest and I was just nearby so I decided to comfort her."

"Just nearby? I see... Anyway, the bell's gonna ring. Catch you later!" With that, Cerise beckoned to Carmine and the both of them raced back through the forest. Faster than you can count to ten, both had already vanished into the thick foliage.

"Hey Ashlynn! The bell's gonna ring. Wanna head back now?" Hunter turned back to face Ashlynn. Ashlynn nodded and she smiled as Hunter helped her up. Together, the both of them made their way out of the Enchanted Forest, holding hands.