18

AHMED

February, 2023

London, United Kingdom.

The month's almost over and wallahi I've never been this homesick in my life. I miss the kids, as usual, but what's new is how much I miss a particular person; especially with how almost everything in this stupid city reminds me of her. And I've been here for weeks!

The interior of offices and hotels, the meals, the bookstores, and even the way some people talk! In the craziest places, I find reminders of Suraiya and if I have to spend one more week in this place, I'm going to lose it. I mean it. I just really, really want to go home. That's all I really want now.

"Mr Shehu?"

I let out a quiet breath and turn away from the floor to ceiling windows that offer a breath-taking view of London's skyline. Well suited men and women – both familiar and unfamiliar – stare at me expectantly. I have the final say and while I already knew I wasn't leaving here without signing their contracts, they still took it upon themselves to have a presentation ready which addressed every little detail.

On a normal day, I would have been impressed but there are only a few things that can impress me these days; especially since my mind is back at home where my house is being turned around under the supervision of a woman I've come to have a soft spot for. And there's the fact that Mahmud and Hauwa are together while Mas'ood and Asiyah are being cute.

I force a smile on my face and lean back in my seat. "That was beautiful." It was beautiful but my words are half-heartedly true right now. "You didn't have to do all this though. Your proposal already impressed me enough."

They laugh and say it's no big deal. Isaac – my secretary – beams where he sits and it's not the first time today that I'm tempted to slap him. This man has made my schedule tight and I know it's only going to take a little more time for me to tell him to stop thinking he can stretch me thin because I trust him with management and scheduling. It's getting to me a lot these days and I don't want to think about the main reason why.

The contracts are signed and exchanged, promises are made by both sides, and then for the sake of our online presences, photos are taken. As soon as I'm allowed to leave the meeting room, I walk out of the door and allow my smile fall.

We have one more meeting like this the day after tomorrow. I don't care how late it ends, I'm taking the next flight back home and anyone who tries to stop me is going to get hit. I've had enough.

I'm in the elevator, heading down when my phone rings. I conclude it is Isaac calling because he's wondering where I've run into. It's not Isaac. I'm smiling when I accept the call. I bring the phone to my ear. "Assalam Alaykum. C'est un appel surprise, Suraiya."

"Waalaykum Salam, Ahmed." There's a lot of noise in the background but it gets lower with each passing second. "Was this a bad time?"

The elevator comes to a stop and I picture her walking away from whatever room is being worked on now. "No, it's the perfect time." The doors of the elevator carriage go open and I step out. "I just finished my meeting and I'm heading back to the hotel."

"How did it go?" A door closes on her end. "Good, I presume."

"A little tiring but yeah, it went well. You good?"

"Yep. I tried to fight the temptation to call because I didn't really have anything to say but I decided to give in last minute. I'm just calling to check in on you."

I stop right in front of the main doors and I can swear my chest starts to swell. My smile has turned idiotic and I really don't want to know how I look to passer-bys right now. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you called because you missed me."