24

AHMED

If I tell you I'm not happy to be back home, I am a big liar. I'm elated and I don't bother to hide it.

I texted Suraiya in Addis Ababa, telling her to leave the door unlocked because I didn't take my keys with me on this trip. While it'll be nice to walk into a house where she's waiting for me, I don't want to keep her awake. It's late and I'm sure the kids have kept her busy since their exams finished.

The Uber driver that drops me off leaves as soon as I'm inside the compound. The security offers to take my box but I assure him it's alright. I can handle it. I climb up the front stairs and push down the handle of the main door. It's unlocked, just as I'd asked, and the foyer is half lit.

I close the door quietly, afraid to disturb the peace of the house. I take of my shoes and replace them with one of the pairs of slippers on the shoe racks. There's a new mini potted plant...Oh Suraiya.

Sighing, I leave the foyer and walk deeper into the house. Despite it being a while since the renovation was completed, the house still feels very new and like a home once again. I take note of even more plants and I give myself a minute to take it all in. Suraiya's really good at bringing life to a place. God, I missed everything and everyone in this house.

I'm about to head up when I notice the kitchen door's open. Suraiya's sitting at the island and...Are those glasses? She's engrossed in the book she's reading. I can't make out the title but it seems good, judging by how she's look so entranced.

Letting go of my box hand, I forget all about heading up and go in that direction instead. I keep my hands in my pockets and stop right in the doorway. She smiles as she flips the page over. Her smile, coupled with how good she looks with those classes, is a death sentence that's hitting close to home.

"For someone just returning home, you aren't quite observant of your environment."

It's a futile attempt trying not to smile back. "No one easily gets into the estate. If someone had broken in, the security would have known." I step into the kitchen. "Why are you still awake, Suraiya?"

She puts a bookmark between the pages and then closes the book before putting it on the top of the island that separates us. Her eyes are literally twinkling behind the round rims and God, she's beautiful. I have also missed her, a lot.

"I was waiting for you." She says it so calmly. "I promised the kids I'd wait for you on their behalf so I had to keep that promise."

There are unexplainable flutters in my chest. I act like it's nothing. "Just for the kids?"

She's still smiling. "Yeah, for the kids." Her voice drops but I hear her words clearly. "And for me too."

Pride satisfactorily hits me square in the chest. "So you missed me."

"That's a strong word." She folds her forearms on the island top. She's in sweatpants and a loose top. I love when she wears them. "I was nostalgic for our bickering and creative moments and also our talk sessions. That's all."

She can't be serious. I'm unable to wipe away the smile on my face as I walk forward, until I'm right on the other side of the island. "That's how you miss someone."

"Strange." God, she nails the Victorian English accent perfectly. "I have never heard of anything more absurd."

We both end up laughing and I grab a stool so I can sit when we're calmer. I sigh. "I'm so glad I'm back."

"The trip was a crazy one then. You're always glad to be back when clients and partners take you to hell."

I groan and fight the urge to let my head drop to the island. "You have no idea, Suraiya." It was pure torture. "Let me tell you what happened."