27 (Part II)

AHMED

Ruqayyah, who had to miss the wedding because of something she ate last night after arriving Niamey, comes up with an entrance for Suraiya into our home because Suraiya's "the lady of the house now". It's a simple idea, really, but it has a feeling attached to it; like it's Suraiya's actual first time here.

I guess, in a way, it is her first time here. Her first time as Suraiya Ahmed Shehu, and not Suraiya Boukar Shehu. I'm going to take my sweet time getting used to all of this.

The men follow me into the house first and they stay behind me when I wait in the foyer, my heart thudding in my chest. On the other side of the door, Suraiya is a beautifully bashful mess as she puts one hand in Mama's and the other in Ruqayyah's. Every other woman stays behind them and, from the little I see, they have their phones up. Behind me I'm sure the men have their phones up too.

"Toh," Mama says. I'm quite certain she's been smiling since yesterday. "Bismillah."

Suraiya's inhale doesn't go unnoticed and after she exhales, she puts one foot in front of the other and crosses the threshold. I haven't told her yet but her henna's beautiful. The dark red designs contrast her fair skin. Once we're alone, I'm going to take my time to admire it all. I just need all of these jubilating people to get out. My kids included. They can stay with Mama and Baba for the night, or even with Ruqayyah.

It's easy to hug Suraiya again and that small laugh she lets out? It goes straight to my heart. I'm never going to get enough of this.

"Ahmed," A cap hits my back. "It's okay, please." I recognize the voice as Luqman's. "Ki daina raba soyyaya anan (Stop sharing love here)."

People laugh while all I do is hug Suraiya tighter. "You people should leave me alone."

"Exactly." It's Amal. God bless her. "You people should leave Mr and Mrs Shehu alone."

Do I grin like a fool? Yes, yes, I do. Do they tease me? Yes. Do I care? No. They can do what they like. The one person that means the world to me right now is in my arms, laughing quietly. That's the only important thing in this very moment. The only people who are as important as she is are the three angels watching us with smiles on their faces.

They're still sleeping over in someone's house tonight. That's not changing.

We eventually leave the foyer and move to the living room. It's very hard for me to let go of Suraiya's hand. I have no doubt it's going to an obsession moving forward. Her hand's perfect in mine and it's so soft. She's a very soft person too and I'm going to hug her as much as I can for the rest of our lives In Shaa Allah.

Every single person keeps smiling and I swear there are way too many cameras pointed at us. I'm glad they're here but they need to start leaving soon. I'd like to have some time alone with Suraiya. There are some things we need to talk about; information we should have shared before getting married if things didn't happen the way they did.

Amal suggests a dinner in our honour this evening and I want to object but the others beat me to it. Everyone – including my parents – agrees and Amal searches for a restaurant with a smile on her face, promising to send the details about the dinner once everything's confirmed.

Catherine clears her throat then, a mischievous look on her face. "You guys, since we are very good and understanding people, let's leave the newlyweds alone. I'm sure they have a lot of things to talk about. After all, they did pull a dramatic stunt yesterday."

My eyes narrow at her. "Catherine, I swear to God..."

She laughs, easily leaning into Sunday who's also smiling. "We love you too, Ahmed."