x. two different books

CHAPTER TEN REPRISE

SAYA────────────' two different books '

SAYA
────────────
' two different books '

—SAYA didn't wear shorts that often. The last time she had was at the beach in early May when the weather had started fiddling with the dials of summer a little early. Sunoo wanted to take advantage of the short teaser of the next season and suggested they spend the perfect Saturday at the coast— and who could say no to Sunoo? So, the man himself, Saya, Sunghoon, Jay, Jungwon and Haeun all ended up squishing into Jay's car and fulfilling Sunoo's wishes.

That day ended with a Sunghoon-shaped outline on her leg. In Sunghoon-like fashion, the man hadn't realized that using Saya's thigh as a pillow would mean that the sun wouldn't reach the skin he was covering.

The atrocious tan line had stayed hidden under pants and long skirts for nearly two months, but now, Jay was threatening to expose it to the world again.

"Please, Saya, it'll be so fun!"

Saya rested her head against the cupboard in front of her. "Just go without me!"

"We need you there! Who knows what I'll do if you leave me alone with Sunghoon for an extended period of time," Jay argued. Saya could only groan and bang her head off the cupboard before dragging her body to face Jay.

"And who knows what'll happen if you force me to spend two weeks with Jake!" Saya retorted, shaking her head as her body shivered. "Yeah, no way, I can't do that yet."

"I thought you guys made up?" Jay queried. He folded his arms over the countertop of the island, no longer flailing them around as he tried to convince Saya to come along on his half-a-month beach getaway to his family's summer home.

Saya hoisted herself up onto the counter with a huff. Her situation with Jake kept flicking the lights on and off and she craved nothing more than to keep the room at one brightness.

"We did... technically," She started, "But it was more like a first step. There's no way I could've done that big of a 180 that fast."

"Does Jake know that?"

Saya tried to look at Jay, but the scrutiny leaking from every pore on his face made saliva build up in her throat, and choking was not on her to-do list for that day. "Of course, he does."

Jay sighed. "As smart as he is, I don't know if rational thinking is a concept he knows when it comes to you. I've seen that kid do some weird things and all of it leads back to you."

"He cries every year on June 29th." Sunghoon's voice echoed through the dorm before he strolled up to the fridge. He had been out with Sunoo to finish some assignments (which was the result of a staged kidnapping and tying Sunghoon to a chair in the library at ten in the morning) and Saya assumed he had just gotten back, only hearing the last few legs of her and Jay's conversation.