Part- 7: Misunderstanding

Akshara got up to an empty room. The table clock besides her read 9:20 a.m. Time in a way has lost all significance, thought Akshara, as she walked towards the bedroom window, pushing aside the curtains and opening it. The sunlight hurt her eyes. Whether it was morning or night, it made no difference to her anymore. Yet, there was nothing significant except time. It was Tuesday today. 4 days to live through before Saturday.  Akshara asked the gentle breeze blowing to carry her blessings, love and care to her son.

Akshara hurried to the living room to check on Abhinav. He was still fast asleep. There was no one in the living room either. Akshara sat on the sofa opposite Abhinav, wanting to spend some time with him. Sleep more, my love, thought Akshara, for dreams are kinder than reality. Abhinav looked peaceful and relaxed, his hand curled up as if.. Akshara walked into the garden, unable to sit in the room.. as if holding Abhir against him.

Everyone was having breakfast in the garden in silence that gave the sense of mourning. Bade Papa called out to her. 'We didn't want to disturb Abhinav ji. Pushpak, serve Akshu's breakfast'. Akshara sat next to Bade Papa. 'I will eat with Abhinav, Bade Papa'.
Bade Papa joined his hands in front of Akshara, tears rolling down his cheeks, 'Please forgive me. I separated a son from his mother. From his father. I separated my own grandson from his parents. Please forgive me for my sin'. Akshara caught his hand. 'Bade Papa, only you are not responsible. You made a mistake. The Birlas are responsible for these conditions too and they didn't do things unknowingly or with Abhir's best intentions at heart'.

Akshara went to check on Abhinav again. He wasn't in the living room. Akshara went to their bedroom and saw him getting ready. 'Abhinav?'.
'Akshara, sorry, I don't have time to eat. Got a customer to pick up from the railway station. You know how late I am running? Why didn't you wake me up? What your family will think - Damaad is enjoying in his sasural like he is on vacation!'. Abhinav's cheerful tone was foreboding. Akshara felt a strange fear rise inside her.

'Abhinav, you are going to work?'.
'Of course, Akshara. We need money for Nikkeji's future'.
Akshara caught the dressing table. It was tough to hear anything about Abhir. Abhinav is right, thought Akshara, here he is still thinking about Abhir and I am feeling sorry for myself.
'Yes', Akshara said, finding courage from the truth in Abhinav's words, 'we are Abhir's parents. So, what if he is living with Abhimanyu? He doesn't stop being our son. We have every right to think for his betterment'.
It appeared to Akshara that Abhinav was distracted, looking out from the window overlooking the garden, as if he wasn't listening to her. 'Right, Abhinav?'.
'Huh? Ouija! I need to hurry'.
He gave a quick cheek peck to Akshara and rushed out of the room.

Akshara had the whole day to herself, her family giving her space to come to terms with the new reality. She missed Abhir terribly. She searched for excuses to call him, to go to Birla House. What if Abhir fell sick? What if Abhir was sad? Akshara fought against those feelings. Manjiri was itching to hurt her and Abhimanyu was desperate to become Abhir's father. Any wrong move would only backfire on Abhir. They could stop the weekend visits. They could, unknowingly, increase Abhir's sufferings or crush his spirits with unnecessary restrictions.
Akshara felt a panic attack coming on. No, she had to go back to her home in Kasauli with Abhir and Abhinav. She had to calm down. Akshara pulled out a notebook and started making strategies. Knowing that she was doing something to get their son back would enable her to relax. There was no way but the legal way. She would appeal against the custody verdict. Her results would be out next week and then she would apply for law internship and strengthen their financial position. She would ask Bade Papa to file an application as soon as possible.
Akshara felt slightly better now that the situation didn't seem hopeless. There was still that chance, no matter how small.

Akshara glanced at the watch. 9:30 p.m.  First day and her husband was already working himself into a frenzy. Akshara checked her phone for what looked like the millionth time that day. No message or call from Abhir. Akshara consoled herself. One day over. Only 3 days for Saturday. She would make Abhir happy on the weekend to whatever extent she could. She heard Abhinav parking the car and set the dinner on the table. Akshara heard Abhinav's excited cheers coming from the garden. She looked out of the door and saw Abhinav playing with a football. Abhir's football. 'Abhinav?', called out Akshara, a little frightened. Abhinav looked at her,'Just 2 more mins, Akshara'. Akshara nodded and left. Her wife intuition was warning her. Abhinav's behaviour was strange in the morning too. Akshara thought deeply, maybe this was Abhinav's way of feeling closer to Abhir? It was best not to jump to conclusions. After a while, Akshara called out again,'Abhinav, please freshen up. Dinner will get cold. No one will eat without you'.

Akshara went to the bedroom herself to tidy up her books in the meantime. Abhinav entered and Akshara observed him closely. His face was relaxed, lips carrying a genuine smile, eyes dead. Intense fear squeezed her insides. 'Abhinav, are you feeling okay? We could go to a doctor tomorrow'.
Abhinav chuckled,'I work a little extra and you worry so much. You are such a cutu!'. Akshara smiled at the response.
'I am perfectly fine, Akshara. You are here, Nikkeji is here, what could happen to me?'.
Akshara felt a wave of chill creep over her body. 'Abhir? Abhir is not here, Abhinav. He is in..'.
Abhinav interuppted,' I am talking about Nikkeji. Where ever we are, Nikkeji will be there only, Akshara, it's obvious'. Abhinav quickly picked up his night clothes and went to the bathroom before Akshara could respond.

Akshara raced downstairs and frantically
told Bade Papa to call a doctor. Bade Papa started questioning her along with the entire family and Akshara spluttered everything. 'Relax, Akshu', said Mimi,' Abhinav means that in spirit, in our hearts, Abhir is with us'. Akshara shook her head fiercely. She couldn't describe her wife instinct or the look in Abhinav's eyes accurately. Akshara couldn't place a finger on it exactly but something was terribly wrong.

Abhinav came to the dining table and everyone started behaving normally, communicating with their eyes for Akshara to do the same too. Akshara decided that she would convince Abhinav for a doctor check up first thing in the morning. She made to sit on the dining chair besides Abhinav.
'Wait! What are you doing?', asked Abhinav, in surprise.
'What?', asked Akshara, flummoxed. 'Pulling a prank on us!', said Abhinav, winking at the empty chair.

Akshara's instinct told her that she shouldn't ask the question. That she should just listen to Abhinav and sit somewhere else. That the answer to her question once spoken couldn't be unheard. That she wouldn't survive another upheaval in her world. So soon.

Ignoring the warning sirens ringing in her, Akshara asked the question, for Abhinav mattered to her, more than herself.
'Tell me, Abhinav, why can't I sit on this chair?'.
Abhinav smiled and answered simply, 'Because Nikkeji is sitting there'.