Part 14 - Outing

Akshara opened the back car door, not able to believe what was right in front of her eyes. My boy in the arms of my husband. Akshara quickly warded off any evil sight on them. She wanted to leave from there, keenly aware of Birla House looming behind and impatiently looked at Abhinav. Abhinav seemed to have lost all sense of time and place. Though he had halted near their car, he held onto Abhir like a drowing man clinging to a life float.

'Abhinav! Abhinav! Let's go. This place is making me uncomfortable', said Akshara, softly. Her words as always found Abhinav wherever he might be. He nodded and with great reluctance pulled Abhir away from him and carefully seated him in the car. Akshara longed to sit with Abhir, to pamper him throughout their journey but moved to sit besides the driver's seat near Abhinav. She wanted things to be normal for Abhir and this was how the Sharma family travelled. She saw Abhinav adjust the car mirror to reflect Abhir and the car rolled forward to Goenka House.

Akshara received Bade Papa's call and he was elated to hear about Abhir coming home. She could hear everyone's excited screams and grinned.
'Akshu Beta, we didn't prepare for Chote Kuwar sa's welcome. You know none of us had the heart to face another rejection. Give us an hour's time'.
'Bade Papa', protested Akshara, 'it's not required. You all, your love, your company, your blessings, that is what my boy wants'.
'Please, Beta. We want to make every moment special for Abhir. Don't say no. I request you'.
'Bade Papa, you never need to request from me', said Akshara, embarassed.
She met Abhinav's curious glance as she said, after checking her watch,'It's almost 6:45 a.m. now. We will come home by eight?'.
'Perfect'.

Akshara kept the phone aside. 'Abhinav, we can't go home yet. It is being readied for Chote Kuwar sa's grand welcome'.
Abhir gave a delighted laugh from behind and a wide, happy smile stretched on Abhinav's face at the sound.
'I have learnt from living here that Udaipur is more modern than Kasauli. The New Mall will open at seven. We can roam around there and have breakfast as well'.
'Mall?', Akshara made a face. 'Lets go to City garden. Abhir must be having his football, frisbee and other toys in his baggage. There is a vendor there selling piping hot tea and awesome idli, medu vadas'.
Akshara looked over her seat at Abhir, 'Okay, Betu?'.
Abhir nodded.
'Garden, it is!', said Abhinav, enthusiastically.

Akshara observed the change in Abhinav in just an hour. He looked at least 10 years younger, now that Abhir was with them - the relaxed face, sparkling eyes, a slight smile that rested on his face. She pushed down the boiling anger that surged towards Manjari Aunty and Abhimanyu.
Today, only happy thoughts, Akshara. My Abhir, my betu is with me. My Abhinav, perfectly healthy, completely recovered, is with me. MY family is with me.

Akshara laughed along with Abhir and Abhinav as they played football together. 'Come on, Mumma! Come on, Papa! I am playing solo and still winning!'.
Abhinav winked at Akshara, 'Ouija! We must win this match, Akshara!'.
Akshara threw up her hands after half an hour. 'I am tired. You both continue'.
'MOHGH!'.
'Mumma Old Ho Gayi Hai! Badmaash!'.
Akshara sat on the grass and looked around the garden filled with early morning joggers. She closed her eyes, taking in the gentle, cool breeze blowing before the sun rose up fully in the sky. The birds chirped happily and Akshara felt as free and light as them.

'Papa, you also come stay in BH. Doc, I mean, Dad-Da won't say no'.
Akshara opened her eyes, alert once again.
She noticed the mocking smile that Abhinav couldn't quite conceal.
'My home is the mountains, Abhir. I don't need to stay in someone else's house. What is this Dad-Da?'.
Akshara reflexively shook her head at Abhinav's answer. Abhinav had failed to understand that this was Abhir's plan to stay with him.

That ridiculous RWP again! It never allows Abhinav to believe that Abhir wants him inspite of having his biological father. Abhir was right! Abhinav is really BBP - Bhole Bhale Papa!
Akshara sighed. She remembered Abhinav's outburst about second chances during Muskaan's wedding. Abhinav's camaraderie with Abhimanyu had always surprised her even before the outburst. Then, she realised that he was behaving that way for her and Abhir's sake. He didn't want to create any further unpleasantness, didn't want to rob them of anything.
Despite facing the harsh realities of life, Abhinav was strangely innocent. He had an irresistible need to see the good in everyone. Maybe, it was his inherent nature, maybe it came from the love he found in Neelamma and Muskaan, who made Abhinav their family in every true sense of the word. Most likely, it was a combination of the two.
Akshara knew first hand how the Birlas exploited that selfless nature. She was trying her best to get Abhir out of their grasp but she didn't know how to protect Abhinav and that frustrated her. The Birlas hadn't even spared a pure child like Roohi from their selfishness and she prayed that Abhinav wouldn't have to pay a heavy price for his extreme goodness.

Coming out of her thoughts and worries, Akshara saw Abhir bristle. She knew that he was too young to understand that Abhinav wasn't rejecting him, that Abhinav wasn't capable of rejecting him, that Abhinav was rejecting Abhimanyu. She stayed quiet though as Abhinav deserved to get a earful from Abhir.

Sure enough, Abhir said, angrily, 'He is Dad-Da because he plays with me, he is never tired, he tells me new stories every night and doesn't snore like you!'.
Abhinav retorted,'Dad-Da, haha! What a name! I am Papa and being Papa is much better than Dad-Fa!'.
Akshara bit back a smile. Was her husband showing hints of possessiveness? She watched keenly, enjoying their banter once again.

'It's Dad-Da, Papa! Not Dad-Fa!'.
'Dad-Fa, Dad-Da, whatever. It sounds like one of your abbreviations, not a real word. Whereas Papa..', Abhinav tugged at his shirt collar,'.. Papa is a regal word. Cool word. Like coolhari. Haha! Like hammer? Kulhari? Get it?'.
Abhir smacked his hand against his forehead as did Akshara.
'Being Abhir's Papa is a matter of pride. What else had you said? Uhhh.. Ha! To be tired, you first have to work like your Papa does. Does Papa drive taxis at home? Then, why does Dr. Birla stay at home so much? About the stories.. Neelamma's stories are so good, why would anyone want to listen to a new story? And snoring!'.
Abhinav reached out to Abhir, tickling him. 'You snore much more than me, Nikkeji. Entire Kasauli wakes up because of your snoring'.

Nikkeji. Akshara brushed off the happy tears from her eyes. Abhir was laughing uncontrollably and didn't realise that Abhinav had called him Nikkeji. This was the first time that Abhinav had fought for his haq to be Abhir's Papa.
Good going, Betu , thought Akshara proudly. She had taught Abhir how to fight for himself, to fight for what was right and today Abhir was somehow teaching Abhinav the same. I am not alone in my fight for keeping Abhinav in our lives, for our Sharma family. My Betu is fighting for his Papa and our family too.

'Boys', called out Akshara in a stern voice, 'Time for breakfast now! No 2 mins, 5 mins, we have the entire day to play'.
Abhir climbed onto Abhinav and they went to the vendor, getting fresh idlis and vadas and coffee and tea and on request, the vendor agreed to give hot milk for Abhir.

Abhir sat on the car bonnet and Akshara dipped a piece of idli in sambar and made to feed Abhir. She had her retort ready for 'No Mumma, I am a big boy' but unexpectedly Abhir took the bite without protest. Akshara smiled and dipping another piece, reached out to Abhinav. Abhinav's eyes widened in surprise and then filled with delight, a shy smile adorning his face. Akshara smiled herself, amused.
'Sharma ji, itna sharma kyun rahe hai?', she teased.
Abhinav's smile turned into a full fledged blush, which didn't go unnoticed by Abhir.
Before Abhinav could respond, he said, 'Papa, your cheeks have turned red like Kashmiri apples'.
Abhinav gestured to Abhir to keep quiet and took the bite, walking away quickly as he mumbled something about buying balloons. Akshara and Abhir giggled and exchanged a high five and watched Abhinav selecting the biggest balloons the vendor had as they munched through their breakfast.

It was a beautiful day indeed.