Part 26 - Abhir's Papa

Abhinav shook the Inspector's hand, thanking him for everything he had done.
'We do everything we can to ensure the safety of children but we can't replace parents. Look out for your kids. They are Life's greatest gift to us'. The Inspector ruffled Abhir's hair affectionately.
'I am afraid that you all will have to wait here for sometime. This area is not under my jurisdiction. We made an exception for the kid on the Commissioner Sir's authority. Lady Inspector is on her way. She will take a few details and you can take the little prince home. I must hurry. I have to report to the Commissioner Sir immediately'.
'Inspector, call her to Birla House tomorrow'.
'Sorry, Manjari Madam. It's the Commissioner's instructions. Lady Inspector will arrive in just a few minutes'.
Abhimanyu said, 'Maa, it's okay!'.
The Inspector took their leave along with his staff.

'Abhimanyu, we are not common folk to keep us waiting like this. Take Abhir and let's leave for home. We got our Abhir safe and sound and that's all that matters'.
Abhimanyu sighed and got up.
'Sharma ji, hand over Abhir to me, we are leaving for home'.
'No'.
Abhimanyu looked in confusion.
'Sharma ji, we are not waiting for the Inspector. Give Abhir to me. Maa and I are leaving for home'.
'No'.
'Akshara, please explain the matter to Sharma ji'.
'Abhimanyu, try and understand. Abhir is traumatised. We can't just leave him. He wants Abhinav to be with him. You saw what happened in the abandoned school. You saw what happened when you tried to give him the antidote'.

Before Abhimanyu could respond, Manjari started clapping sarcastically.
'Saw their real faces, Abhimanyu? Opportunity in tragedy! They don't want Abhir to return to us..'.
Akshara interrupted Manjiri's rant.
'Abhimanyu, use your own brain for once. You must have studied child psychology in your medical studies. Leave that aside, you are a father, Abhimanyu! Look at your son! What condition he is in! Mrs. Manjari wasn't in that school looking for Abhir. You were. Tell me, do you honestly believe separating Abhir from Abhinav is the right thing to do now?'.
'Just give me my son, Akshara. I have won the sole custody, not you or Sharma ji. Abhir stays in Birla Mansion'.
Akshara shook her head in frustration. She could hear the arrogance, the insecurity, the jealousy in Abhimanyu's voice.
'Abhinav..'.
'No'.
'Sharma ji..'

The Lady Inspector arrived with her team. She headed straight for Abhir.
'Abhir?'.
'Yes, Madam. He is Abhir. He is fast asleep right now due to the medicinal effect'.
'And who are you?'.
'His mother - Mrs. Akshara Sharma'.
The Inspector asked her assistant to fill out the details in a form.
'Father's name?'.
Akshara unwillingly looked at Abhimanyu. He stood non responsive, staring at Abhinav. Akshara noticed Manjari doing the same with a smirk on her smug face. They want Abhinav to name Abhimanyu as Abhir's Dad. They want to put him down for refusing to hand over Abhir. I won't give them the satisfaction.

Akshara started to respond but Abhinav called out before she could.
'Abhinav Sharma'.
Akshara slowly smiled, her entire face lighting up, realising that the life of her dreams had moved one step closer to reality. Abhinav Sharma. Abhir Abhinav Sharma. Abhir Akshara Abhinav Sharma.
'No, Inspector! He's a liar!..'
'QUIET! Who are you?'.
'Manjari Birla - Director of Birla Hospital'.
'Madam, I have a lot of respect for you. But we have to complete our work. Right, so where was I? So the boy who was saved - Abhir Abhinav Sharma..'.
'Abhir Abhimanyu Birla', called out Manjari, her voice filled with rage.
'Madam, what is your problem?'.
'This man is lying. He isn't the father!'.
'Whose the father?'.
'Abhimanyu Birla, my son', said Manjari, pointing to Abhimanyu.

The Inspector looked from Abhinav to Abhimanyu, noting how securely Abhir had attached Abhinav to himself.
'Why is he having the kid then?'.
'We have been telling us to give back our Abhir but he isn't LISTENING!'.
The Inspector got irritated. 'Relax, Madam! The kid will get disturbed. Is Akshara the mother of the kid?'.
Manjari refused to answer. Abhimanyu said, 'Yes'.
'You Sir, hand over the kid to the mother'.
Abhinav stood up, trying to loosen Abhir's grip on him. Even in his sleep, Abhir resisted.
'I have no issues giving Abhir to Akshara. But I won't force my kid. Not today'.
'I will do it!', said Manjari, advancing towards Abhinav. Abhinav placed his hand on Abhir's back once more, making his intentions clear.
'Madam, don't take the law in your hand. Here, give me the child'.
The Lady Inspector tried gently but failed as well.

'Abhinav Sharma, who are you?', asked the Lady Inspector curiously.
'Abhir's Papa'.
The Inspector looked at Akshara and saw that she was completely stress free.
'Madam, you said Abhimanyu is your son and you are his mother, so you are Abhir's grandmother. Please think for your grandson's benefit. It was an ordeal for him to survive through. I don't have the entire details as the Commissioner Sir pulled me out just now from another case. He just said that a kidnapped boy had been found and I was to fill out the mandatory forms and release everyone. Normally, this is done at my station but you being the owner of Birla Hospital, I understand why I am here'.
Akshara appreciated the bluntness and courage of the Lady Inspector.
'Please understand that forcing Abhir to come to Mr. Abhimanyu could permanently leave a scar on his mind. I request you to leave the child with this man. He seems to have the mother's approval. Matters can be sorted once Master Abhir recovers', completed the Inspector.

Manjari bristled.
'What do you mean? Will my grandson not recover fully in Birla Mansion? My son cured Abhir before and he will do it again. I have the sole custody orders. No one play smart with me! I want Abhir and I want him now!'.
The Inspector gave a disgusted look, turning to Abhinav.
'Mr. Sharma, you seem like a good man. Hand over Abhir to them. It's their legal right'.
'No'.
'I will have to take him forcefully. It won't be good, Mr. Sharma. I will have to arrest you'.
'I cannot hand over my son. I will not'.
The Inspector sighed. 'Mrs. Sharma?'.
'Abhinav, please. I know I keep telling you to fight for Abhir. And now I am telling you, let Abhimanyu take him to Birla Mansion. We cannot do anything just now. Abhir is safe, Abhinav. What's the point in getting arrested? We will fight our appeal lawfully'.
Abhinav resolutely shook his head.
'I can't, Akshara. I can't separate my Nikkeji from me. I won't'.
Akshara understood. Abhir wasn't the only one who had gone through hell today. Abhinav had too. She had too. Abhir's real parents had.
She went to Abhimanyu, trying to drill some sense into his head for the last time.

Meanwhile, the Inspector called some of her staff, who caught Abhinav's hands and pulled Abhir away.
'Careful with the kid. Gently', ordered the Inspector.
Abhinav struggled with the police staff but couldn't reach Abhir.
As the police staff was taking Abhir to Abhimanyu, Abhir woke up midway. He cried on realising that he wasn't held by Abhinav and squirmed against the female police staff holding him.
'Put him down! He will hurt himself!', called out the Lady Inspector, worried.
The woman police set Abhir on the ground and Abhir made a stumbling dash for Abhinav, angry to see the policemen catching Abhinav.
Abhir pushed against them. 'Leave, my Papa! LEAVE HIM..'
'Nikkeji, I am fine! Listen to me. Relax, Yaara. They are just doing their work. Calm down'. Abhinav glanced helplessly at Akshara. Akshara boiled with anger.
'Abhir, beta,..'
'Dida, you told uniform uncle to hurt Papa. I hate you, Dida. I hate you'.
Abhir started crying, inconsolably, wrapping his arms against Abhinav's waist.
'ABHIMANYU, HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? DO YOU WANT ABHIR TO GET HOSPITALIZED?', yelled Akshara.
Abhimanyu asked the Inspector to release Abhinav, much to Manjari's fury. As soon as Abhinav's hands were free, he picked up Abhir and wiped his tears.
'Na, Yaara! Is someone cutting onions that you are crying?'.
Abhir was fatigued beyond measure. He laid his head back on Abhinav's shoulder and whispered, 'Don't leave me, Papa. Please don't leave me'.
Abhinav kissed the back of his head.
'I won't, Nikkeji. Your Papa has come for you, Nikkeji. Where will he go without you? Relax and sleep'.
Akshara checked Abhir and found that he had a running fever.
'Let's go, Abhinav. Abhir needs rest'.

'Just a minute, Akshara. You can't just take Abhir. I asked the police to hold back for my son but I do have the sole custody. You and Sharma ji can come to Birla Mansion with Abhir or I will take Abhir with me anyway'.
Akshara saw Abhir shiver on hearing Abhimanyu's words. Her son had suffered enough. Akshara was fed up of trying to get Abhimanyu and his mother to behave like humans.
'Abhinav, this is the best option'.
Abhinav readily agreed, the trembles of Abhir's body worrying him.

The five of them made their way for Birla Mansion.