Part 25 - Nikkeji

Abhinav opened yet another door. Quickly scanned underneath the rows and columns of benches. No sign of Abhir. He could hear Akshara's voice in the distance continuously calling out for Abhir. He could hear the slamming of doors and thump of footsteps as Abhimanyu flew from door to door. He could hear the ticking of the dynamites clock more clearly than his heartbeats. But Abhinav couldn't hear the one voice he so desperately wanted to.

The old school was a huge building consisting of 12 floors and many, many classrooms on each floor. It was the only school and junior college for miles more than a decade ago. Then, due to the severe climate change, a local river dried up, affecting the water supply. The residents of the surrounding area left for better places. The school lost its students and shut down and the area soon became a haven for anti social elements.

Abhinav, being an orphan, had accepted very early on that every mortal had to leave this World one day. But death by explosion.. he wouldn't wish it in his worst enemy. His panic grew as he counted down the time.

12 mins..
Abhinav increased his pace. Abhimanyu had informed them that Abhir was most likely to be unconscious due to the extra dosage and just calling out for him wouldn't be enough.

Abhinav had opened every door this floor had - classroom, washroom, staffroom - not a trace of Abhir. Abhinav rushed to a higher floor. How am I going to get Nikkeji and Akshara out of here safely? How? Abhinav opened the first door, bending down and peeking underneath the benches.. nothing. He rushed out. No news from Akshara and Abhimanyu either. That meant they hadn't found Nikkeji too.

10 mins..
He heard Akshara's cries of Abhir turn into sobs and Abhimanyu's footsteps had slowed as well.
No! They couldn't give up hope! Maybe, maybe, Nikkeji wasn't here in the school! Abhinav shook himself out of the wishful thinking. There is no time!
As pleasant as it was to believe that Abhir had left from there, there was not footage to the contrary. The Inspector hadn't informed them. Additionally, Abhir had been too scared and sick when he had entered. As per the Inspector, kids while escaping danger, tended to stay in a place they felt safe in. Abhir must have found the school setting familiar and comforting. He had access to water and washrooms as well.
Abhir didn't have his school bag with him in the CCTV footage. There was no way of contacting him through mobile either.
'Akshara', spoke Abhinav in the earphones, making his voice comforting, 'we will find him. Have faith!'.
Akshara didn't respond, Abhinav could still hear her sobs. Akshara's condition broke his heart but he kept his focus on finding Abhir. The next two doors didn't hide Abhir either.

9 mins..
I cannot open every door, thought Abhinav, panic overtaking him. He started opening doors at random, desperate for Luck to help him.

8 mins..
Abhinav could no longer contain himself. 'NIKKEJI! NIKKEJI! COME TO PAPA! PAPA HAS COME TO TAKE YOU BACK HOME! PLEASE YAARA!'. He heard Akshara's startled voice calling his name and Abhimanyu speaking to Akshara but Abhinav had ears for none but one. 'NIKKEJI, YOU ARE SAFE, YAARA! NO ONE CAN HURT YOU! YOUR PAPA IS HERE! PAPA WILL DIE WITHOUT YOU, YAARA! WHERE ARE YOU? NIKKEJI, WHERE ARE YOU?'.

A feeble voice made it's way from the second floor. 'Papa!'.
Akshara and Abhimanyu gasped and the three of them rushed to the second floor. Abhir was nowhere to be seen. Akshara and Abhimanyu started searching in the classrooms, calling out Abhir's name.
'NIKKEJI, WHERE ARE YOU? PAPA NEEDS YOU, NIKKEJI! PLEASE, NIKKEJI. WHEREVER YOU ARE, COME TO PAPA!'.

Abhimanyu turned as Abhir emerged from a room, two doors behind him.
'Abhir!'. He bend on his knees and reached with his hands forward.
Abhir ran past him.
Akshara turned, hearing Abhir's little footsteps and Abhimanyu's voice, thanking Kanha ji. Abhir ran, exerting all his remaining strength, reaching beyond her to Abhinav.
Oblivious to everything but his fear, Abhinav called out again, 'NIKKEJI! NIK..'. Abhinav felt a tiny pair of hands, circle around his waist. He closed his eyes in gratitude, silent tears running down his face. Nikkeji. Abhinav quickly picked up Abhir, caught Akshara's hand and started running down the stairs. Just 2 mins. You must remove Nikkeji and Akshara safely from here.

A voice came through the earphones.
'The demolition has been stopped. The school will not collapse. Do not panic. Search for Abhir calmly. I repeat, the demolition has been stopped'.

Akshara went limp with relief against Abhinav. Abhinav hugged her while Abhir clung like a baby koala around him. Abhinav wanted to see Abhir's face, check whether he was okay but Abhir held Abhinav in an iron grip. Akshara moved behind and saw an exhausted Abhir, half asleep. She kissed his forehead.
'How is he, Akshara? He isn't allowing me to move him at all!'.
'He is fine, Abhinav. Not a scratch. Thank God! Abhimanyu, as soon as we get out, we should give Abhir the antidote'.
Abhimanyu nodded, uncomfortable seeing Abhir with Abhinav.

The four of them made their way out slowly, relieved, grateful and fatigued. Manjari ran towards Abhimanyu and on finding him alright, tried to forcefully take Abhir away from Abhinav. Abhir resisted with a strength that seemed impossible for a tired, little boy and Abhinav had had enough. He placed his hand firmly on Abhir's back, securing his hold on him. Manjari gave a threatening look to Abhinav which Abhinav met defiantly. Akshara noticed the tension between them and was glad that Abhinav was fighting for Abhir.

Abhimanyu was busy readying a makeshift bed for Abhir and missed his mom's antics.
'Akshara, bring Abhir here and make him lie down. I will inject him with the antidote'.
Abhir however clung stubbornly to Abhinav, wailing if Abhinav tried to pull away from him.
'Yaara, the injection is essential. My brave Nikkeji! Doesn't get scared of kidnappers, but gets scared of an injection!Come down quickly, yaara!'. Abhir couldn't be persuaded.
'Akshara, how should I convince him? I don't have the heart to shout at him anymore'.
Akshara tried to coax him but Abhir absolutely refused to leave Abhinav. Abhinav was about to pretend to get angry with Abhir when Abhimanyu volunteered.
'Its okay. He doesn't need to lie down. I can inject him if he holds still'.
Abhinav tightened his grip on Abhir, though Abhir showed no signs of moving.
'Akshara, hold his hand at this spot. This injection is painful. There should be no sudden movement'.
Akshara did as advised and assisted by a policeman, Abhimanyu injected Abhir with the antidote. Abhir appeared not to notice, sleeping peacefully with his head resting on Abhinav's shoulders.

Abhimanyu felt like something was burning within him. He was happy that Abhir was safe but he didn't like the way Abhir was ignoring him. The way he wasn't ignoring Abhinav. The look in Abhinav's eyes made him a little nervous.

Akshara felt a peace she hadn't since she had lost the court case. Her family was safe, together. For the first time, since they had lost the case, Abhinav had addressed Abhir as Nikkeji in front of him. For the first time ever, she saw possessiveness in the way Abhinav held Abhir, a challenge in his eyes. Haq. Akshara knew that Abhir felt something similar to what she was feeling as well. That's why, she could notice no restlessness in Abhir, only peace.
Akshara realised that the peace wouldn't last for long as she saw the jealousy on Abhimanyu's face, stubborness on Manjari's and the fire in Abhinav's eyes.
She would be ready for whatever came later. For now though, she was only grateful.

Thank You, Kanha ji.