Part 51 - Outing

Akshara smiled, good-naturedly mocking her husband.
'This place? The one between the forts? I have been coming here since when I failed Maths in 5th Standard'.
'No matter! This was just the first place. I have discovered many more hidden gems'.
'Right'.
'You failed Maths. 5th Standard Maths. Are you sure you have the right to make fun of my skills?'.
'I had fever the night before, Abhinav! And I failed by just 7 marks, if wasn't like I got zero or something!'.
Abhinav held up his hands in surrender and then lowering them, walked around the place with Akshara by his side. It was vast like many places were in Udaipur and held a quiet kind of beauty. There was a mild, warm breeze blowing and Abhinav enjoyed it. So different from the mountains.

Next, Abhinav took Akshara to a place which was a long drive away but the attraction was that it had a quaint lake which very few people knew about.
As Abhinav proudly stopped the car near the water body, he saw the look on Akshara's face.
'You have been here too'.
Akshara smiled, a little subdued.
'I heard my mother, Naira Goenka, used to come here whenever she wanted a break from her turmoils. She found peace here and would often dance to calm her mind'.
'Sorry, I didn't know'.
'No, Abhinav. I am happy to be here. It was a place which brought happiness to my Mumma. I wish she and Dad were here. They would be so happy to meet you. And you would have loved them'.
Abhinav caught Akshara's hand, lacing his fingers with hers.
'I am sure I would. They were your parents after all. Abhir wouldn't have left their side from what you have told me of them'.
Akshara smiled, placing her head on Abhinav's shoulders.
'I believe they are still with us. In me. In Aarohi. In the way they guided Abhir and me to you. In all the blessings that I have found'.
Akshara and Abhinav sat down by the lake, spending sometime in the easy silence.

'Okay, so no point driving you all around town', said Abhinav, once they were in the car, 'I will take you to the place which I feel is the one that is most unlikely to be found by a commoner..'
'Commoner.. such as..me?', asked Akshara.
'No, no, shern.. Akshara. Just a hard to find place, that's what I meant'.
'Hmm..is it? Someone was very confident and boastful just a little while ago. The sudden humility is surprising. Anyway, I hope you remember that you have to give me a boxful.. I repeat, a boxful, of Premium chocolates'.
'Akshara, that's cheating! The winner was to get the chocolates! And you haven't even seen the last place yet'.
'2 out of 3. Majority rule, Love'.
'Now, you are absolutely cheating, Akshara! I had to show you any 1 place that you hadn't seen before'.
'What? There was no such rule.. Okay, fine. I agree. Show me just one place I haven't seen before in Udaipur and I will accept you as the winner'.
'Akshara, you are talking to the appeal winner. Akshara and Nikkeji heart winner ji', said Abhinav, raising his collar in the way that made Abhir smack his forehead.
Akshara rolled her eyes.
'Let me see this 'hidden gem', Winner ji'.

After a while, they stopped in front of another fort, which was ruined to a great degree. Abhinav caught Akshara's hand and carefully took her up the stairs. He moved towards what seemed to be a crumbling window and asked Akshara to look through it, towards the sky. She saw the most beautiful view of the sun setting through it. They stood there for a few minutes, admiring the view and walked back towards the car again.

Abhinav studied her face and sighed.
'You have been here before too'.
Akshara nodded, her face falling.
'You have won, Akshara! I should be sad!'.
'No, it's just that.. I should be showing all this to you. And Abhir. I wanted to share so many of these special memories with you, Abhinav. The elderly shelter home where I started my music therapy from, my favourite kulfi shop where you can enjoy cold kulfi under the hot sun, the bazaar from where I would purchase the cutest trinkets and the prettiest clothes.. I wanted to show the rich culture of Udaipur to Abhir.. but I couldn't.
The first trip was overtaken by Abhimanyu - his engagement, his accident. The second by the custody. I didn't get a chance to do anything for you and Abhir. I am sorry, Abhinav'.
'Akshara, you are behaving as though this is our last trip to Udaipur. You forget that I am Kunwar sa and I am going to come here every year with Chote Kunwar sa and my wife. You can't take away all the special damaad treatment I get here'.
Akshara smiled, her mind freeing itself after all the stress it has been under.
'Of course, Beend sa. We will come to Abhir's Nani House every summer vacation like a typical family and then we will visit all the many, wonderful places together'.
'Akshara, I want to do everything a typical family does. All the cliched, stereotypical things...
Right now though, will you sing for me?'.
Abhinav stood still, soaking the last rays from the fading sun. He closed his eyes, the ruined fort still making it's looming presence felt.

Akshara sang, unhesitating, straight from her heart.
Naino ne thari kaisa jadoo kiya re,
thare bina lage nahi mhara jiya re...
Abhinav opened his eyes and heard mesmerised, his newly learnt vocabulary holding up to the lyrics. Akshara's voice was celestial and her words touched him. She meant them for him, her Beend, her love. And Abhinav felt tremendous gratitude for being able to see this day, where he was surrounded by love on all sides.
Akshara finished singing and all Abhinav could say was, 'I love you, Akshara' and Akshara had never recieved a greater compliment.

They reached Goenka House by seven and Abhinav found himself energised rather than tired. The verdict, Akshara's company, the places, her song had blown away all signs of fatigue and stress, leaving a rejuvenated Abhinav behind. Akshara seemed as lively as him.
'Abhinav, I will book the tickets to Kasauli. In the meanwhile, you order for ballons and streamers and cake and all the other party stuff. Then, we will start on the presents. Don't worry, we will get some presents delivered in eight hours through my membership and we will shop for the rest with Abhir. Some presents of his choice will make him happier'.

As they stepped inside the house, discussing the plans for the next day, loud shouts of joy filled the air.
'Damaad ji! Our Abhir!'.
'Akshu, you won!'.
'Bhabhi, Bhai ji, our Abhir is coming back to us! Our Abhir is coming!'.
Bade Papa caught Abhinav in a bear hug and Muskaan embraced Akshara, sobbing with relief. Abhinav saw Kairav wiping tears from the corner of his eyes and Mimi and Badi Maa didn't even try to control their emotions.
Nikkeji, you are truly blessed.

'Stop, stop with the crying', called out Akshara, firmly, 'enough with the tears. That's all we have all done for the past months. Now, we will enjoy and have fun! Our Abhir is coming back and we will welcome him with joy and laughter. Okay? Mimi, are you with me?'.
Akshara went to Mimi and wiped her tears and hugged her.
'Finally, everything's just the way it should be, Mimi. All because of your love and blessings'.
'My love and blessings are always with you and your family, Akshu'.
Mimi gave a genuine smile, wiping away the last of her tears.
'Let's not waste any more time. My great grandson is returning after all. Where are the balloons I had ordered? Kairav, what's the update on the cake? Manish, I had told you ages ago to bring the limited edition jacket for our Abhir. Kids like that stuff. Where is it?'.
There was chaos as everyone hurried to give updates or ran to complete Mimi's orders. Abhinav walked to Akshara and said, 'My work is already taken care of. Haar ke jeetne wale ko hi baazigar kehte hai..', Abhinav lifted his collar in a stylish way and made to walk away. Akshara pulled him back catching the very same collar.
'Akshara! What are you doing?'.
'Abhinav, Love, since you are so free, you can make a sweet dish for all of us today. We will enjoy it after dinner'.
Abhinav saw the firm look in Akshara's eyes and headed straight for the kitchen.

Akshara stood there, listening to the chaos of the phone calls, the streamers rustling, the balloons exploding, the surprised exclamations, the crackling of gift wrap paper, the laughter and Abhinav's humming from the kitchen. Akshara smiled widely, happy from within.
A beautiful day. One of the many beautiful days. Part of a beautiful life. Thanks, Kanha ji!