Build a Boat

Liferingy tapped on a tree. "Let's grab some wood off this baby and build from there."

"How do you plan on chopping that down hun?" Lifesaver asked.

"I...don't know." Liferingy admitted.

Leafy walked over to the tree and picked off a branch. She rubbed the stick against the bark, sharpening it. Then, she rammed it into the tree to chop it down. The liferings stared in shock.

"Y'know Leafy, yer pretty useful," Liferingy took Leafy's stick and chopped the tree into usable wood. "Now how're we gonna put this together?"

"Like this!" Leafy took some leaves off the tree and used them to tie the wood into a boat-like shape.

Liferingy sat in the sand with his arms crossed. "Am I gonna get to do anything useful?"

"Listen boys, I'm trying to get to this island as fast as possible. We need to recover Firey," Leafy pushed the boat closer to the water. "Now let's go."

"Wow, you really care about this Firey guy. Is he your boyfriend or something?" Liferingy asked. Leafy stepped into the boat, avoiding the question.

"No need to tease her. Most people would be a little urgent to bring their buddy back to life." Lifesaver sat next to Leafy.

"Eh, I guess yer right." Liferingy stepped in too. He ended up pretty squished. The boat wasn't big enough for the three of them. Regardless they managed to make it work as they went off of their voyage.

It was cold. Noticeably cold. Leafy shivered the entire ride, vibrating the boat, much to Liferingy's dismay.

"Bro it's not that cold!" Liferingy complained.

"It is very cold!" Leafy protested.

"You're literally the only one shivering. And if ya don't stop I'll throw ya off this boat."

Leafy shivered even more, this time out of fear.

"Liferingy, shut up and go to bed," Lifesaver complained. "You get so feisty when you're sleepy."

The two liferings bickered for a while until they fell asleep. After that Leafy sat alone, with nothing but the cold air and sleeping bodies to keep her company. It made her miss Firey and his warmth even more. As the sun went down, she began to miss his orange glow. She desperately wanted to feel him there but she couldn't.

Because he was dead.

Or so she thought.

—-

Leafy saw an island in the distance, so she tried to swim faster, until a strong wave came hurtling towards her, burying her underwater. Luckily before touching the ocean, Firey was pushed away by the strong winds, landing in a forest far away.

Firey stepped through the woods, careful not to start a forest fire. He found a circular patch of grass and laid down. Leaves blew through the air and burned in his flame. It reminded him of the times he would try to hug Leafy...only for her to end up dead. Somehow, the smell of greens and smoke soothed Firey, allowing him to fall asleep.