Chapter 27

Chapter Twenty-Seven

It had been a total of 2 weeks, 3 days, 7 hours and 24 minutes since Gabriel left, and every second that went by, my heart seemed to break a little more. Isaac has been a big help through it though, he makes sure I’m getting out of the house.

My Father has asked about Gabriel, but I just said he’s gone away to look at different colleges. It’s a pathetic excuse, I know, but it’s the best I could come up with on the spot. Speaking of colleges, Isaac managed to convince me apply for as many as I could, I was hesitant though. Going away for college was a big step, a step that I wanted to take with Gabriel, but Isaac – being the demanding, pain in the ass he is – said that it was for definite that Gabriel was coming back and I had to concentrate in my own life for now.

But I didn’t want to carry on with my life as normal, I couldn’t. I wanted to apply to colleges with him, and hope we got accepted to the same places, but even if we didn’t we would make it work, because we would stick together, always.

Eventually I applied for some colleges, because Isaac wouldn’t stop bugging me about it. But I only applied for the community colleges close by, I wanted to wait for Gabriel to come back so we can apply for the colleges that were further away.

I was lying face down in my bed, the covers thrown over my head. I knew I wallowing, but what else was there to do? There was no school anymore; Katie and Ollie were away for the summer. So there was nothing to do.

It was just my luck that Isaac decided that now was the opportune moment to appear, “Come on Amelia, up you get!” he said as he flung the covers off of me.

I moaned and rolled over to face him, “What do you want?” I said, groggily, “Haven’t you tortured me enough these past couple of weeks?”

He smirked, “Nope”

Isaac and I have grown closer over the time we’ve spent together; he’s been my rock through all of this. Although were closer, I haven’t found out much about him, everytime I ask a question about his life, he shuts down and says he has to do something and leaves. But now, I think I deserve to know something about my Guardian.

I sat up in bed and patted the space next to me. Isaac complied and sat down next to me with his arms folded behind his head.

“So…” I said, not sure how to start, “Can you remember a conversation a while back? Something about what would happen once you finished your Guardianship”

Isaac froze and I quickly reached for his arm so he couldn’t leave, Isaac turned his eyes towards me and my mouth dropped. His eyes were so full of sadness, but also hope. I had no idea what could have happened for those emotions to be shown so clearly, but I wanted to find out, I wanted to help.

“Isaac, please. You’ve helped me so much with my problems, let me help you” I whispered.

Isaac contemplated this for a minute, but eventually sighed and leaned back against the bed, but instead of shrugging my hand off like I expected him to, he held it tight within his own, and I let him.

“I don’t really know where to start, Amelia” Isaac said quietly, his voice a bit strained, “I’ve lived a lot longer than you, I have lived for ninety-six years”

I was shocked, I never thought about Isaac’s age before.

“When I had a life on Earth, I had a wife, a child” he said, his voice sounding even more strained than before, and I tightened my grip on his hand, “I had a wonderful life, until the fire”

I knew this was coming, the bad ending to a good life. I could tell by the sound of his voice, the way his hand gripped mine and the reluctance to tell me. I felt like crying for him.