Chapter 9

When I entered Katie’s room, Katie and Yasmin were dancing around the room, the music vibrating through the floorboards and drinks in their hands.

“Come on Amelia! After all, this is your party!” Katie shouted over the music. I poured myself a little drink and noticed Ollie trailing behind me.

“Can I join in the party?” he said, raising an eyebrow at me.

“Sure, as long as you don’t drink every last drop” I laughed and he laughed along with me. I joined Katie and Yasmin when I realised Tanya was nowhere to be seen.

“Katie! Where is Tanya?” I asked, starting to feel a little uneasy.

“She’s downstairs with mam and dad, she isn’t feeling well so they are taking her home” Katie said. I shrugged it off and carried on dancing and topping up my drink as the hour passed. After a while the room started to spin and my vision was blurred, everything felt like it was going in slow motion.

I grabbed Ollie’s arm and he started dancing with me, his hands around my waist, my head fell on his shoulders, I felt so weak, it felt like my knees were going to buckle. Ollie pulled me over to the bed.

“Are you okay Amelia?” he asked, as I rested my head onto his shoulder, I felt like I was about to go asleep, until Ollie lifted my head up to make me look at him, he was even more beautiful up close.

“You’re beautiful, do you know that?” I said, my voice was slurred, Ollie just laughed at me.

“Amelia, I think you’ve had too much to drink, I think I should take you home” he said, still laughing.

“What are you laughing at?” I asked.

“How oblivious you are about your own beauty” he said, his voice was soft and welcoming.

“Now who’s the one who has had too much to drink?” I said, looking at him, but I couldn’t make out his figure clearly.

“Come on, we’ll get you home” he said, as he lifted me up from the bed and flung my arm across his shoulders, and he tucked his arm around my waist.

“Where are you taking her?” I heard Katie say.

“Im taking her home, she’s had too much to drink” Ollie answered. Katie then ran up to me and hugged me.

“Happy early birthday Amelia! I’ll see you at school once the holidays finish” she said.

“Yeah, ok Katie, see you later, I’ve had a great time” I said, my speech was still slurred. Katie laughed at me. The next thing I knew I was in Ollie’s car, it only took me five minutes to walk to Katie’s, why was Ollie taking me home?

“You didn’t have to drive me home, I would have walked” I said.

“Are you for real? You wouldn’t have made it home” Ollie laughed.

“I would of! I’m not that bad” I said, sounding offended, we then pulled up outside my house, my father was at the window, spying out of the blinds, when he saw it was me, he retreated to the couch.

“So, here we are, I hope you’ve had a good night” Ollie said.

“Yeah, I’ve had a brilliant night, we’ll have to do it again when you come back from your holiday”

“I’m not going on holiday, its just Katie and my parents” he said.

“Oh, why aren’t you going?” I asked.

“I don’t know, just didn’t fancy it this year” he answered, we sat in silence for a while, I didn’t know what to say, a million thoughts were running through my head; none of which I was able to make any sense of. I could feel him staring at me, I turned my head, our eyes met. I could see his chest rising and falling at an accelerated pace. His left hand resting on the gear stick, I watched as his hand moved away from the gear stick and rubbed against my leg.