Chapter 13

EDITED ON 19/09/2023

Edmund sat with his quidditch team on the way back home, which was nice. They were the only ones who actually wanted to talk with him for reasons that don't include the Chamber of Secrets or Harry. For Christmas Cedric had gotten a strategy book on quidditch and had some good input. It was surely going to improve their game.

The moment Edmund stepped into school, Hermione had grabbed him by the shoulder and pushed him to Harry. "Tell him about the book Harry, tell him about Riddle." And so he did, Riddle was some prefect, some boy who excelled in everything and such.

The most annoying thing that he was hearing at that moment, was that Professor Lockhart thought that he did everything on his own, the man was convinced that the culprit stopped because of him. Edmund wishes that he had such thoughts that the culprit had stopped, but the pit in his stomach was still there.

And then came the morale booster. Personally, Edmund's morale booster was training with his quidditch team and making tea for his friends. Lockhart had a different idea to it. For Valentines, the walls were all covered with large, lurid pink flowers, heart-shaped confetti fell from the pale blue ceiling. "Oh blimey." Edmund said and grimaced as he looked over at the Professor that thought this would all be a good idea.

Lockhart was wearing pink robes to match the decorations, he wouldn't have to use a camouflage charm if he were to walk by the decorated walls. It made him think about the Pink Panther show, something that he had watched with Mary. Edmund knew that his uncle was going to get a headache because of all the bright colours. "Happy Valentine's day!" Lockhart shouted, "I thank the 46 people who have sent me cards, so far!" The man winked and Edmund was sure that he heard a few Hufflepuffs coo at that. "I have taken the liberty of arranging a little surprise for you all!"

Edmund nearly let out a very loud groan that would have gotten him to receive unfriendly glares when Lockhart clapped and marched in a dozen dwarfs, wearing golden wings and harps. "My friendly, card-carrying cupids!" Lockhart beamed, "You'll see them around the school delivering valentines. And the fun doesn't-" He then went on to suggest that his uncle should make them a love potion, or for Flitwick to teach Entrancing Enchantments.

"Oh dear." Cedric whispered, "They look like they're going to jump him after dinner."

Edmund let out a laugh and muttered an apology to the glaring girls. "You should get one for Hermione, I think she'd like that." Cedric hummed and looked over at the Ravenclaw table where she sat with Cho. "I can get a dwarf to deliver them notes from you, to Hermione. And one from me, to Cho." He suggested, as if the Diggory had already planned it, he whipped out a piece of paper and a muggle pen. "Here, write something down."

"But-"

"We're both doing it!" Cedric urged and pushed it in his hand.

Edmund looked at him and nodded, if he wasn't going to do it, Cedric wouldn't have the bravery to do it as well. It is easier to take the plunge together rather than alone. "I don't know why I have to do it though." He muttered and neatly wrote down 'Happy Valentines' without his name.

"Why didn't you add your name?"

"Because it'll make everything weird." He argued.

"Right so," Cedric nodded and wrote something down on his piece of paper. "Smart boy." He said and started to write some words down. "How many dwarfs do you think you're getting?"

"If I'm lucky, none."

Edmund was wrong. He wished that the dwarfs stopped, never before had he expected to even get any dwarfs. But so far he has gotten maybe, five, or six. The first one was a complete surprise, then the second one came and he was a bit flattered. But then they kept coming.