Chapter 25

It was an outrage and a show. Karksakoff and Maxime were angry that a young boy had made it past the line. Edmund saw the anger in Harry, the exact same look that Edmund's mother would have on her face when she was angry. He saw his uncle Severus' falter from the usual poker face. The date of when Edmund's aunt and uncle had passed away, both Harry and his uncle were struggling with it. "Harry would never willingly put his name in the cup." Edmund couldn't help the snark, "Neither did I, but here we both are."

The show was that all heads of their schools were so angry that their faces were turning red. The empty threats of pulling out their champions, but it fell on deaf ears as they all knew, after you were chosen, it was a binding contract. Fleur then spoke up, asking why they should be complaining, a young boy would be competing, someone who isn't experienced or the apprentice.

Edmund leant against the cold stones of the wall and looked at Mr. Crouch. "The first task is designed to assess your daring nature. We won't be telling you what you're facing because, courage. Courage in the face of the unknown is bravery." The man snapped out of his own head, "First task will happen on November 24th, the audience will be the students and our panel of judges." Crouch's eyes turned to look at Edmund and Krum, "Champions are not permitted to ask or accept help from any teacher to complete the task in the tournament. Champions will face the first task with only their wands. Information about the second task will be given after completion of the first." Edmund nodded, "All champions are exempted from the end-of-year tests due to the demanding nature of the tournament."

Edmund straightened his back and frowned as he looked over at Dumbledore, who just gave the apprentice a sober nod. Edmund bit the inside of his cheek and shook his head, he likes having to study, to earn his grades. It made him proof to everyone that he can be smart as well.

They discussed some nightly drinks but they all rejected the offer and headed towards bed. "I suggest you two head up to bed, I'm sure your housemates are waiting to celebrate your selection as champion, it would be a shame to let their excuse of making a mess and noise go." Edmund cringed as the thought of how loud every house would be.

They walked back out through the door and it was eerily silent, the Great Hall was abandoned and the pumpkins were flickering. Edmund's posture was as tense as the silence where Harry and him walked through. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"It would have been nice to have known." Harry said quietly. "We're entitled to our secrets." At that moment Edmund saw his mother in Harry as something she had said before floated around in his head.

"May our secrets stay secrets but may our loved ones always know the depth of our love for them." Edmund quoted her quietly. The two looked at one another and at that moment there was an understanding that it wasn't malicious and that they'd never willingly be put against one another.

Harry nodded and they stood before the staircases where they would split up. Edmund clenched his jaw, "I know that we both don't want to do this, but there is no backing out of this, Harry. Together we survive."

Harry nodded. "Enjoy your party." The Gryffindor said.

Edmund gave him a small smile, "Knowing us, everyone is invited." Edmund put a hand on the doorknob that led to the basement. "Try to enjoy it, while we can and before we have to fight for our lives." They nodded at one another.

The hallway to the Hufflepuff basement was getting colder and colder the more Edmund walked through the hallway. He could already hear the faint music that sounded behind the big door. The faint pulse of his heart aligned with the booming music.

The door opened and Edmund looked up at the person who opened the door. "Edmund! You're late!" Draco exclaimed with a big smile on his face and pulled Edmund inside. "Our champion is here!" He exclaimed loudly and a roar of cheering came, then the pats on his shoulders as he walked over to his friends.