Chapter 29: Thin Ice

Happy Tuesday friends! Just ONE chapter left!!!

Don't forget to leave me writing prompts and scenarios for any character in this series and I will compile a bunch into a book!

Happy Reading. 

Song for this chapter: Spotless by Zach Bryan and the Lumineers

~Blaze~

I practiced, I rehearsed, and I went over it a thousand times on my drive to Arizona. I should have grown tired at some point, considering I drove nearly twelve hours straight. I only stopped once to piss and grab a coffee and some red bulls, and yet, I was bursting with anticipation.

The suspense was fucking killing me and the drive was never ending.

I'd come up with about ten different ways in which I planned to earn her forgiveness and convince her not to move to Tucson. Some were shit, and some were not half bad if I remembered them the way I practiced on the way over here. None of them were actually used the moment I saw her and heard those words leave her mouth.

"It's fucking great here isn't it?" Carter stated, earning a smile from Maggie.

I could kill Little McPherson for encouraging this. What the hell was Carter doing here anyway? And why was the clubhouse filled to the fucking brim this early on a Saturday? Was the entire Tribe gathering for Maggie's visit or some shit?

"So good," she agreed. "I might just have to stay here long term," she went on, making my heart sink to my fucking stomach.

I should have thought my words through. I shouldn't have come off so fucking pushy, but I couldn't help it.

"The hell you are, Red," I said with a grunt.

She turned around to face me, shock widening her eyes when she met my gaze. She was clearly surprised to see me and I can't say that I blamed her. I quite literally followed her here like some fucking stalker, but in my defence, her dad pretty much encouraged this and she kidnapped my dog, so my presence here was somewhat justified.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Maggie questioned, crossing her arms over her chest.

Carter's eyes widened as an amused smile perked up the corner of her lips, while Ronnie just stared at us with confusion.

"You told him?" Ronnie questioned. "I thought I warned you both to keep this quiet!" she groaned, turning to both Carter and Maggie with accusatory glares.

I was clearly missing something here. This was more than Maggie just coming down for a visit to Tucson.

"I never told him," Maggie defended.

Told me what?

"Wait a minute," Raegan pipped in. "I'm confused. Why is the Prospect here and why the hell do you care if Maggie wants to stay here?"

Clearly, Maggie hadn't told them about us and they weren't filled in on the Tooele charter drama chain.

"Not a prospect anymore," I informed. "And I won't let Maggie run away like before," I told Raegan, as respectfully as I could given that she was a Vice President's old lady.

"Am I missing something?" Ronnie questioned.

"Oh, yeah. Like—a lot," Carter nodded in agreement.

The three women shared a look before turning their gaze to Maggie who was just standing there. She was barely looking at me, but she didn't make a move to turn away either. I couldn't read her expression right now, or tell what she was thinking. What I did know was that we now gathered somewhat of an audience, which I knew Maggie would hate and that maybe I could use to my advantage.