1. First encounter

Mingi's POV:

It all started when last summer I had to move to another city. Another language, another neighborhood, another house, another university. It seemed so challenging for any person, but for me it was even more difficult. I hadn't had the time to study Spanish. How would I ever make friends if I didn't know how to speak? Doubts and questions were running through my head. But I had to move. It wasn't a decision that I chose to make but I had to do it.

I had been living in the US since I was born. I grew up in a lovely family. I made some friends, specially Sky, my best friend. A few years ago, my dad abandoned us. Thanks to my mum, we managed to keep going. I only had 10 years when that happened, but now that I am 19 I think I'm more scared. The fact of living alone, without my mum and without any friends, makes me feel really intimidated.

It's August the 9th, and my mum wakes me up with a sweet voice. I am so asleep so I murmur with difficulty:

- What time is it?

- 5 o'clock, darling.

- Ugh...

- Come on, it's almost time to leave.

- Okay - I say rolling my eyes.

I'm currently studying English Philology and I have to finish my degree in Spain because I can't afford paying two more courses of the degree in my hometown. That's why we decided that I would move to a little town in Spain which is quite close to the university and I would finish my studies there. A few hours later, I arrive to Spain. A taxi takes me and my baggage to my comfy, cute and empty new house.

I start to unpack all my things. I start with the big blue suitcase, full of my clothes. Then, I open the red one, which contains all my skincare products. When I start to put them in a small closet, someone knocks the door. Who will it be? I don't know anyone here yet. What if the taxi driver wants to attack me? I grab a bottle of lotion big enough to hit him back.

- Who's there? - I ask without opening the door.

- ¡Hola! Soy el vecino... ¿Por casualidad tienes leche?

What the hell? I only understood "Hola", which is "Hello" in Spanish, because of my Duolingo first lesson. That means the person is from here but I don't know him and I won't trust him. I hold tight the lotion bottle and slowly open the door. I meet a boy with bright eyes and he insists:

- Hola. ¿Tienes leche?

I try to be brave and use a few words in Spanish to communicate with him.

- Hola. Soy un chico.

What the...???! Have I just said "Hi. I'm a boy"? I'm starting to blush. However, the boy in front of me looks at me with a smile.

- You're not from here, right? Where are you from?

That's it! We should have started the conversation in English.

- Ummm no. - I laugh a little - I'm not from here. I'm from a small town in the US but I've moved here some minutes ago. Mmm... do you speak English then?

- Wow! I've been to the States once and it was beautiful. However, my mum is from London so I also speak English at home.

- Good! You definitely have an accent.

- Hahaha yup. Umm by the way, do you have some milk? That's what I was asking in Spanish. I live in the house next to yours and my mum sent me to buy some but I saw you entering home so I umm... just wanted to ask. - says shyly with a hand touching his hair.

- Oh, sorry. I... I couldn't understand what you said because I'm afraid I've only taken the first lesson in Duolingo. - We both laugh. - And I don't have milk yet... but I also need to buy some food. Would you... like to go with me... to the supermarket?

- What a nice idea! Let me take you in my car.

- Perfect! Is it far from here? - I say while I leave the lotion bottle, grab my keys and close the door.

- It's not actually. I'm just too lazy to go and buy something, but it's okay if I go with someone else hahaha.

- Ohh nice.

The visit to the supermarket is as hard as I thought it would be. I don't know where to find anything and I have to ask my new friend all the time. However, he seems to enjoy it.

I leave the supermarket with 3 bags full of food and he offers to help me carry them

I leave the supermarket with 3 bags full of food and he offers to help me carry them. I give him one of them and he asks:

- So... why did you move here? I mean, if it's something you can share.

- Don't worry. It's... well... in the States... I couldn't get a grant for my degree course. So I decided to finish my degree here.

- Understandable. And how many courses do you have left to finish the degree?

- I have to start my third year, so 2 years left.

- Are you 19?? - he asks with a surprised face.

- Mmm yes.

- No way. Me too. I'm studying Spanish Philology.

- Wow! I... will be studying English Philology.

- Makes sense. - he says with a smile. - At least we'll go to the same campus.

- Yess!

We go back to his black car. It isn't the most expensive one but it looks elegant.

- By the way... my name's Mingi.

- Yunho. Nice to meet you.

We get home perfectly fine. He's a good driver.

- I... well... I've got to go. It was really nice to meet you.

- Same. If you need something in your new house I'm free to help you. Just if you want.

- Thank you so much. See you then.

- See you Mingi.

I jump off the car and wave at him while he's parking just a few meters from me. What has just happened? Did I make a friend? Really? He's so sweet and talkative. I have to tell Sky. He won't believe that.

Sky ✨
really? so early?
i mean
good for you
i'm glad you talked to someone
:)

Mingi 💕

ikr
i cannot believe it
and he's so nice

Sky
how's your new house?

Mingi 💕

i actually like it
it's a bit empty but it's quite big
and the supermarket is close

Sky
good!
i miss u

Mingi 💕

ohh
me 2

Sky is shorter than me. He's funny and brave. He's my best friend since we were 8. I was being annoyed by an older guy when Sky stood up to him. Since then, we've always sat together in class and we've always been together in the afternoons. This is the first time we're so far from eachother but we'll get over it.

I start to keep all the food in the fridge and I follow with the two suitcases I left open. Then I go to bed. I'm so tired.