CHAPTER V - Unfair

-━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━-

THIRD PERSON POV

Zenitsu stays silent, getting up.

He reaches his hand out to Tanjiro, in which results of Tanjiro just being.. confused. "I'm sorry.." Zenitsu mutters, Tanjiro takes his hand and gets up. "Thanks." He says awkwardly, smiling. Zenitsu nods and walks past him.

"...That was certainly something.." Tanjiro mutters to himself, "Is he up to something..? He seems in a rush." He sighs, and walks off aswell to attend his own matters.. such as training.

     ..••°°°°••..

   TIMESKIP

A few months later

     °°••....••°°

At this point, everyone has noticed Zenitsu's strange behavior, and his distancing himself from others. They're all finding it weird, and Zenitsu just.. doesn't care. Tanjiro is concerned, very concerned. It's not gotten anymore of an improvement than day one, and Tanjiro is starting to theorize something...

Could Zenitsu be.. depressed? No, certainly not.. why? What would have happened? Thoughts run through Tanjiro's mind as he walks down the street, kicking some pebbles as he walks. He's trying to think of what could possibly result in this, and he has no answer. The only way he could get one, is to ask Zenitsu himself.

But would he have the courage to ask Zenitsu about such a serious topic? He can't be overreacting if everyone's noticing this behavior aswell, he's had multiple discussions with Shinobu about it by now.. and it's getting him even more worried.

He doesn't want to straight up just go to Zenitsu, ask him "Hey are you depressed?" He wants Zenitsu to feel safe in telling him whether he is or not, but even if he is.. would Zenitsu tell him anyways? Zenitsu's just been distancing himself from Tanjiro, and everyone else.

Suddenly, an idea came to mind. What if he asks Giyuu? Giyuu's told Tanjiro everything he's gone through, and everything he felt like. (AU) So maybe Giyuu would have the answer? Yes! That works, that works. Tanjiro smiles and immediately runs in the opposite direction of his past destination, heading to his Estate.

Eventually, after many minutes of walking.. he makes it! Panting, he knocks on the door. It doesn't open immediately, in-fact it takes about five minutes until Tanjiro finally hears footsteps.

The door opens ever-so-slightly, only a crack. "Come in." Giyuu suddenly opens the door fully, startling Tanjiro. "Y-Yes sir!" He says, smiling. He takes off his shoes and steps inside. Giyuu closes the door behind him, "What do you need, Tanjiro?" He asks in a serious tone.

"Uh.. so.. it's a bit of a serious topic." Tanjiro chuckles lightly, it was obviously fake. Giyuu raises a brow and crosses his arms, looking down at Tanjiro.

Tanjiro takes a deep breath and rubs the back of his head awkwardly, he begins to explain everything. Giyuu's expression doesn't change at all, as if he's not surprised. Tanjiro crosses his arms and looks down at the floor, "It's just.. I'm worried, and since you'd probably kn-"

"It is depression." Giyuu interrupts, "Or so; probably." He says, Tanjiro was startled by that sudden interruption. "I can't be too sure, don't take me for granted." He pauses, "But those are pretty much some signs of it." He begins walking over to a different room, stopping midway through the doorway.

"Just, if it really is.. take care of him. You can leave now."

Tanjiro just stares at him as he walks away, then slowly shifting his gaze to the floor. So his suspicions were right, probably right. He wouldn't know for sure, of course. But it's safe to say that Zenitsu is probably depressed.. just.. from what?

Tanjiro frowns, "Thank you!" He calls out, before exiting the Estate. It was hard to believe, that's for sure. Yet also not surprising at the same time.. he had expected this, just was startling to know that it's probably correct..

-━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━-

ZENITSU'S POV

At this point, Tanjiro's the only person that really makes me feel.. happy. Even if I don't show it to him, or if I appear rude. He's just.. kind, kind in every way. It's comforting, really.

Ever since I've found how gramps died, I couldn't ever look at anything the same. Nothing, just nothing. I was just ready to give up on life, yet even if I haven't told anyone that.. Tanjiro's just, somehow.. comforting me. I've asked Mitsuri about it, and she said it could be love. Love? Falling inlove with Tanjiro? Oh, this feels wrong. I don't think I should be feeling this way, there's no way he'd even like me back.

...But I don't know that for sure.. what if I make a confession..? Maybe a note..? I don't know.. just, maybe if I let my feelings out, I'll finally feel better about myself.

...

That works.

I sprint towards the Butterfly Estate, and as soon as I get there, I immediately start to write a note.

My hand is shaky, and I'm sweating quite a lot... Am I doing this right? I surely don't know, but this is the best attempt I have before it's too late.

I put down the pencil, and shakily grab the note, rereading it for now about the hundredth time. My hands are trembling, and my vision is slightly blurred from my nervousness. I'm more than sure I'm going to mess this all up.. I can't get the courage to say it to him directly, so this is my only chance.

I grab an envelope and slide the small piece of paper into it gently, with a small little flower sticker that's uneven on the middle from my shaky hands. I take a deep breath in, and then out.

I get up from the floor, and sigh. "Hopefully it all goes right.." I mumble to myself, until suddenly dropping the envelope when a voice startled me. "What goes right?"

I swiftly turn around and see Inosuke in the doorway, his mask is off and he's raising a brow. "Nothing.." I say, panting. Inosuke walks over to me and pushes me over, grabbing the envelope on the floor. "What's this?" He asks.

My eyes widen, I push him away and snatch the envelope from him. "This isn't yours, mind your own business.." I mumble, he just looks irritated. I'm well aware he can't read.. but.. what if he gives it to Tanjiro? What if-

"Alright, alright. I got it, whatever. No need to push me.." He walks off, that interruption was annoying, for sure. But I can't let it ruin my mood.. I can't. Not when I'm about to confess.

I set out to look for Tanjiro, stepping outside of the Estate. I hear a voice in the distance, I think I can recognize it.. Kanao's. I quickly run over to that spot and check if Tanjiro is there. Luckily, he is.

I take a deep breath, and is about to walk out from behind the wall, until I hear a sudden sentence that makes me go numb.

"...Will you be mine?"

-━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━-

I KNOW DAMN WELL THIS IS GONNA SPIKE UP SOME DRAMA- I'M SO EXCITED TO WRITE CHAPTER 6 NOW ASJIWIEWKWJI

I'M NOT GONNA GET ANY SLEEP NOW JUST FROM BRAINSTORMING IDEAS- LOLOL

AS ALWAYS, HOPEFULLY THIS CHAPTER WAS ENJOYABLE!! <3

Word Count - 1189