Chapter 3 - The Discussion

Thorin was trying to figure out if Bilbo was cut out for fighting or even holding something bigger that a small knife. Bilbo had to think for a second before responding to him.

"Axe or sword, what is your weapon of choice?"

"Well, I do have some skill at conkers, if you must know. But I fail to see why that's relevant."

"I thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar." he said as he heads into the dining room.

When he said that, the other dwarves laugh.

A short time later, Thorin and he rest of them were sitting there around the table as he was eating his dinner.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?"

"Aye, envoys from tall seven kingdoms."

"And what did the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?"

"They will not come."

The other dwarves were upset about this as they sat there waiting for Thorin to talk some more.

****

Beyond the meeting at Bilbo's house, a gryphon came to it's rider and friend. She calmed him down by rubbing his neck then patting it. The gryphon nudged her and she smiled.

"Easy, mellon. I'm fine and I know that you are worried about me." she said to him as he pulled back from her.

The gryphon looked down and she placed her forehead to his as they shared a brief moment. He gave her a glimpse of the outlying areas as she took it as a form of information. They pulled away from each other as he went off somewhere else. He was going to scout for areas that he would give her. She turned to watch the road for the hobbit that would go on the quest.

****

Back in the dining room, they were still having their discussion but no one said anything for a time.

"They say this quest is ours and ours alone."

"Your doing a quest?" Bilbo asked.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light." Gandalf said to him.

Bilbo leaves the room and Gandalf takes out a map that was hidden in his robe.

"Far to the east, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands lies a single solitary peak." he said while placing something on the table.

He placed the map on the table and points to the mountain, as Bilbo brings in a candle he leans in and reads the map.

"The Lonely Mountain."

"Aye, Oin has read the portents and the portents say: it's time."

"Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain as it was foretold. When the birds of old return to Erebor, the reign if the beast will end."

"Uh... what beast?"

"Well, that would be a reference to Smaug the terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Airborn fire breather, teeth like razors, claws like meat hooks, extremely fond of precious metals."

"Yes, I know what a dragon is." he said as one of them stood up at the end of the table.

"I'm not afraid, I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of dwarfish iron right up his jacksy!"

"Sit down!" his brother said as he pulled down to take a seat.

"The task would be difficult enough with an army behind us, but we number thirteen, and not the thirteen of the best or the brightest."