00.11: Escape

His eyes could not focus as his heart was constantly beating fast. His sight mixing in with his past and present. He remembered everything even though a glimpse was all it took. Every information was bursting away in his mind. From the day his coven was killed to the day he died.

It was still messy. His head was throbbing in pain. Words of the people he had met ringing in his ears. He was still holding the amulet as if it was his lifeline.

"Dan! are you okay?" He raised his head towards the direction of the sound. He was in Alaric's office. He looked around, his ears were still ringing. He could not hear properly, the voice sounded booming, he straightened his posture as he felt a tap on his shoulder. 

"Kid, come back to us."

The ringing stopped. Dan looked towards the person in front of him. Alaric.

Alaric's voice sounded concerned as he looked at Dan, who was still gripping the amulet tightly. "Dan, you zoned out there. Are you okay?"

Dan's eyes were unfocused, and he seemed to be lost in a whirlwind of thoughts and memories. He took a deep breath and tried to steady himself. "I... I remembered everything," he said, his voice quivering with the weight of his recollections. "I remember my coven and what we were planning. It was about Hope Mikaelson."

Alaric's brows furrowed as he realized the gravity of Dan's revelation. "Tell me everything, Dan. What did you see?"

Dan hesitated but went on to describe the scenes from his memory dive. He recounted how the coven had plotted to kill Hope, the fierce confrontation with Elijah Mikaelson, and the devastating consequences of their actions. He could feel Alaric's concern and unease grow with each word he spoke.

After he finished, Alaric remained silent for a moment, absorbing the information. "Dan, this is a lot to take in. The Mikaelsons are powerful and dangerous, and if they find out what you've remembered, it could put you in danger."

Dan nodded, a heavy weight on his shoulders. "I know, and that's why I need to be careful."

After his conversation with Alaric, Dan returned to his room. He sat on his bed, lost in thought. The memories from the memory dive still swirled in his mind, and the weight of his coven's actions weighed heavily on his conscience. The fact that they had planned to harm Hope, who had become a friend, was a revelation that he struggled to reconcile.

As he stared at the amulet resting in his hand, Dan realized that he held knowledge that could put him in a perilous position. He thought about what he should do with this newfound information and the implications of keeping it to himself.

 A few days later, Dan found himself in the school courtyard, where he spotted Hope. She approached him with a friendly smile, her bright eyes reflecting her genuine concern.

"Hey, Dan, how are you feeling?" she asked, her voice soft and reassuring.

Dan hesitated for a moment, his heart warring with his desire to protect her from the tangled web of the supernatural world. He knew he couldn't express his inner turmoil explicitly, but he had to convey his need for distance. With a small, reassuring smile, he replied, "I'm okay, Hope, thanks. Just needed a little time to process everything. Don't worry about me."

Hope's smile faded, and concern flickered in her eyes. She sensed that there was more to his words than met the eye, but she respected his boundaries. She nodded slowly, understanding his unspoken message. "All right, Dan. I'm here if you ever want to talk or if you change your mind. Take care of yourself."

As they parted ways, Dan couldn't help but feel a profound sense of isolation and unease. He watched Hope walk away, her silhouette disappearing into the distance. It was a choice he had to make, a choice to protect her from the dangerous truths he carried. The burden of his past weighed heavily on his shoulders, but he was determined to keep the secrets locked within, no matter the cost.

Dan sat alone in the courtyard, contemplating the distance he needed to maintain between himself and the people he cared about. He knew the path he had chosen was one of solitude, but it was a path he walked to ensure their safety.

With every passing moment, the unease within him deepened, but Dan was resolute in his decision. He would bear the weight of his secrets, even if it meant keeping Hope at arm's length. His heart ached with the unspoken longing for connection, but for now, the distance was a necessary shield against the mysteries and dangers that surrounded him. What he saw in his mind was too much for the fragile lost boy. 

He needed time alone to gather his thoughts. As days pass by, every memory was coming back, clearer then ever. He's remembering the names, faces, emotions, and everything else in between. The bond that he had with his coven. The spells. The power. 

His heart grows heavy at the thought that came to his mind. 

How can he ever approach Hope, knowing all these information? His entire coven is dead because of her existence and her family. 

- To be continued -