00.12: The Distance

In life, there are certain times when distance must be made for two souls to gain clarity. Maybe, even just one soul. Those were the thoughts of one boy named Dan. He did not know what to call himself at this point. His memories from the past has been rushing in his mind after what he did.

He felt weird. His identity after his memories disappeared. Dan. His memories during the event, the trauma that was creeping in his shoulders, Arne. And, his memories with Hope, young and now, the sweet and hidden moments that not a lot knew, the ones that he knew he kept in his mind and his heart.

' BUT, ELIJAH KILLED US, HE KILLED OUR FAMILY, OUR COVEN, EVEN ASTRID.'

"Shut up..." He muttered softly as he grimaced hearing his thoughts as he stared at the kids playing around the grass. He told Alaric that he needed time alone to arrange the memories that has been constantly rushing.

He was sitting on the bench that he used to sleep in when he was a ghost. He was pondering about what he was going to do now that his memories were coming back, every single one of them.

His mind was racing. He couldn't gather his thoughts and emotions into one. But, his overall dilemma was one thing, rather, one person.

"Dan?" A voice called out to him, one that when he heard it drew out a familiar feeling, he is not sure if it was positive or negative at this point. He turned his head towards the voice and sighed.

It was Hope.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Dan asked, not making eye contact with her. His right hand fidgeting as he kept it in his pocket.

"I was actually looking for you. Dr. Saltzman said you were probably here so, yeah, I - I checked and yeah, you're here. " She said rather shyly as she tried explaining what she really meant.

He looked at her with a bit of amusement. If his mind was not in a dilemma right now, he would tease her, however, that raw image of his coven being slaughtered by Elijah was constantly appearing in his mind. At the same time, her smiles, her laughs, her words, his memories with Hope from the time he was Arne to right now was also there.

So he settled for one reply.

"You're worried, aren't you?"

"I heard from Dr. Saltzman what happened , that you were gaining your memories back? I asked for the details but he wouldn't say and then you were gone for the whole day. So, yeah, I am worried. Are you okay? Do you need anything? " She said as she sat beside Dan, looking at him with concern.

A lot of thoughts came to him. If he should admit to her who he was, about his memories, about what her family did. He also wondered if she knew who he was. Maybe that's why she came to him.

His thoughts and memories were blurring.

"My head hurts..." He sighed out as he placed his head on her shoulders. It was a bit uncomfortable for him but it didn't matter for him, as long as, she was there.

"Arne!" a young and cheerful voice called out to the young Arne who sat on the grass, playing around with the butterflies.

The sweet scent of nature lingered in the air as the him today and the him before came in close contact with Hope.

"Do you want to go back to the school?" She uttered softly as she placed her hand on his cheek.

"Let me stay like this for a moment. "

A comfortable silence settled in the air as Hope looked around the area while Dan had his eyes closed, resting his head upon her shoulder.

Internally, Dan was panicking and his thoughts were in a rumble. It felt like the crack that was in his head when he was a ghost became bigger.

Voices were mixing, memories were blurring, and people were screaming. He couldn't focus. But, there was a constant image in his head.

He looked up towards Hope and sighed in relief as the noise in his head dialed down.

The one thing that was always constant was her. Hope Mikaelson.

"Hope, can I ask you something?"

"Of course, you can ask me anything." Hope eagerly said as she nodded her head in motion with a smile.

"How much do you remember from your childhood? "

"Uhm, it was a mess actually, from beginning to the end. I-I was possessed by this witch called the Hollow and to save me, I caused a drift in my family. The Mikaelson. And, for how many years, my mother tried to save them, she tried to bring my father back to me, to reunite all of us but it physically caused us a lot. I - "

"Promise me! Promise me, you'll protect her. " those words rang in his head as different images of people popped in his mind. Klaus Mikaelson, Hayley Marshall, and Elijah Mikaelson.

"Do you remember anything else? anyone else? "

Why can't you remember me? please, say you remember me, make sense of this chaos in my head. You're the only one that calms this down, tell me something, anything. You're the only thing that makes sense right now. I know you from before and through you I was brought back.

There must be a reason why but if you can't remember me, am I going crazy?

The desperation in Dan's eyes was clear. The details that Hope spoke of, he remembers. He knows the faces of each Mikaelson that was there during that moment, and the people that was there when the Hollow was separated from Hope during the first time.

The more she spoke of the memories, the more it was getting clear in his head. But, the thing is, the details that he was remembering was slightly different from hers.

In her story, he wasn't there however she was in his story in every chapter.

Do you not remember me?

"I don't think I forgot anyone else though. All of my family was there, even Vincent and Freya. I don't think I forgot anyone else there. " Hope said with uncertainty in her voice as she felt something amiss in her head as soon as she said those words.

She made eye contact with Dan as she finished her sentence and was taken aback from what she had seen.

Dan's eyes in tears while it was shining in silvery-blue.

"Dan, are you okay? Did I say something wrong? Is your head hurting? " She asked in panic as she placed a hand in his cheek, however he held it away from him.

"No, I'm fine, it's okay. I'm good. " He said as he wiped away his tears and tried to hold back his voice from shaking. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He needed more time to focus.

He knew that something wasn't right. He's slowly remembering all of it but the more he remembered, the more it felt like something was missing.

He knew what he needed to do.

"I'm okay. " He said as he smiled amidst the pain and stared in the eyes of Hope.

-To be continued-

Yves speaks!

I really update at the weirdest times, forgive me, but I'll try to update more huhuhu, I have missed writing.