Unexpected Love*: Javier Peña

Javier always had these eyes. The eyes that would make you want to shut up and listen to every word he's saying. The eyes that you could get lost in every time you looked at them. He knew it; that's why he was so successful with women. I'd like to believe his luck ran out when he met me. Ever since I'd been a part of his life, he hadn't had many women in his apartment. He wasn't giving other women lingering looks; his eyes always seemed to be on me. I didn't mind it. God knows I'm not complaining, but it does make me curious.

I'd worked at the DEA office for years. Never having been promoted until last year. I knew everyone in the office, though. Javier Peña and Steve Murphy have been my most frequent visitors in the closet-like office I'd had, but I would be lying if I said I didn't know Javier more than I should. All the women in the office couldn't keep their lips painted red without smudges from the known playboy. I've heard all their sleepless nights with their legs spread wide for him, and I can't say I'm not disappointed I didn't have the opportunity. For a while, I thought I just wasn't his type until my promotion.

The day I was badged as an official DEA Agent, I was granted two partners. I thought it was odd, but I wasn't complaining when I walked into my new office and saw Steve and Javier sitting behind desks. Their smiles grew wide as they welcomed me. The initial fear of working with new people quickly melted away as I brought in my things from my old office. It was amazing. Javier still had women falling at his feet the first couple of months. A new woman was in the office daily, asking about their "next date." Javier was kind when he had turned them down, but it still hurt. I could always see it on their faces.

Something had changed around the third month, though. Fewer women and more prolonged conversations between Javi and me. It was like we were becoming closer. From partners-friends-best friends, all in three months. We no longer jerked away when our hands would lightly brush each other. In fact, we even hold hands while we're at the bar with Steve and Connie. Neither of us strays away from eye contact when we're not speaking. We take each other in. Getting lost in each other's eyes. Seeing something that we can't quite place. Although I can place it, we're both too scared to admit it.

Tonight Connie had invited me to her place. She knew I wouldn't say no; she lives down the hall. She had told me she wanted to cook dinner and have everyone over. I assume everyone includes me and Javier, but that's how we liked it. No outsiders, just us. We were like a family at this point. I was excited, to say the least. I'd gotten an approved paid vacation from the DEA and hadn't been home in over a month. I'd missed the three of them: Connie, Javier, and Steve. I felt terrible for leaving Javier and Steve at the end of a case, but I needed the break. My mental health was plummeting with all the shit I'd seen recently. Sometimes I wish I could've stayed behind a computer in my tiny closet office.

Music was playing quietly in the living room. I'd been seated on the couch with Javier and Steve while Connie prepared the last dish. A glass of sweet red wine rests in my hand. Bringing it up to my lips ever so often for a taste of the bitter substance. Steve was catching up on everything I'd missed the last month. Connie's pregnancy scare. Javier gets into a fistfight with a bartender. And the new car he was thinking about getting with his yearly bonus.

"Ari, how was your trip?" Javier asked me.

Steve and Javi turned their heads. Their faces held an amused expression as they awaited my answer, but Javier's eyes put me in a trance. The little sparkle flickers in his irises every time he looks at me. The corner of his lips turns when I open my mouth to speak. For a moment, I'd believe he loved me. Or at least wanted to. It's hard to pinpoint if he actually had feelings for me or if it's just his charm with every woman.

"It was amazing. I definitely needed that break. I did miss you guys, though." I say, my eyes are still locked with Javi's.

He smiles at me. His teeth are flashing. So perfect and white. His lips were plump, and his mustache sat on top perfectly. I like how it moves with his upper lip. Would it tickle when he kissed me? Would I scrunch my nose to the feeling of his facial hair rubbing across my cheek while he whispers to me? Would it tickle my thighs when he's-