013 || the fourth

❃.✮:▹ pov: the spare ◃:✮.❃

My eyes widened as I processed the fire. I tried not to focus on the body burning away in the fire, and tried to focus on running, not away, but to the room that held our weapons.

"They took them away somewhere. " I said as we sprinted back to the beauty parlor thing. It was kind of embarrassing, but I was the slowest, then Kohane, and then An and Akito at the same time. "I think I know where." Kohane said. "Lead the way!" An said, yelling as she heard the screams intensify. I looked over my shoulder to see the Vipers were following us, and I ran even quicker.

We finally made it to the parlor, and followed Kohane down the hallway into a small pantry-like area, where our weapons were resting. "Kohane, Toya. Get the civillians to safety." An said, taking her leadership role seriously. Even though she just obtained it. "Me and Akito will try to get rid of them."

I nodded. "Alright, An." Kohane said. I felt so nervous. I'd never done anything like this... the most adventurous thing I'd done in my life was going into the woods, and then I starved to near death.

I grabbed my sword. Akito was beside me, so I tapped his shoulder. "Good luck, Akito. I believe in you." I said, because I swear I could see him a slight bit tense. He smiled. "Thanks, Toya. I believe in you too." He said, and I nodded.

And then we went into formation. Since Kohane had the worst sword, it was kind of up to me to protect her. I was scared, but I had to do this for the civillians.

We ran out of the shops, An and Akito going straight ahead, me and Kohane darting to the left. It seemed that the Vipers hadn't attacked the left yet. We weaved through the buildings, trying to find any sign of life and direct them to somewhere safe. Finally we found a young girl.

"Where's mommy and daddy?" She asked me. I smiled at her. "Your parents are going to be over there in a bit, okay? Just go through the buildings to the snow." Kohane said. She nodded, and I realized she was holding a beat up teddy bear in her hand, then she ran away.

"Nice going." I said to Kohane. She nodded, and smiled. "Thanks... But we need to get moving." She said, and I remembered the urgency of this situation. We took off again.

We eventually found three other people, two being the little girl's parents, which we directed them to her. The other person was an old lady.

Try as we may, we couldn't find anyone else on this side of the village. I heard the Vipers' cries, and I signaled to Kohane to stay away. She nodded. I grabbed the hilt of my sword just in case, and we decided to head back to the people we'd found.

We ran as fast as we could into the nearby forest surrounding the castle and village. We eventually found the four people, and we let ourselves take a few breaths.

"Phew." Kohane said with a small smile. "That was so exhausting..." I said, looking at the terrified villagers who were glad to be in safety nevertheless.

The little girl smiled at me. "Thank you for saving us." She said. I nodded, smiling. "It's no problem, really. Didn't you realise it's kind of prophecy now?" I said with a soft smile. If those documents were really about us, that is. And I didn't doubt that they weren't. The resemblance was too uncanny.

Kohane still looked sad though. "Do you reckon Akito and An will be okay, though?" I felt my heart skip a beat. I'd honestly forgotten about them. "I'm sure they will be. I know that An's an amazing fighter. And Akito told me he could as well, so they should be fine. They'll come find us." I said, though I was also really nervous.

"Y-yeah. Thanks, Toya." Kohane said with a small nod and a smile. I smiled back.

We waited in the woods for about half an hour. The little girl got bored and was playing with the snow, unable to understand how serious the situation was. And then the screams died down into nothing.