A Tiny Fear

(Wilhemina Venable)

:Wilhemina learning about your fear of insects

———

The two of you had been in a relationship for a few months now. No one will expect that you particulary, have a lot of things to hide. Wilhemina has it too but it's obvious for some reasons as she said it by herself— her back.

You thought the time where all these fears and habits you developed in your teenage year will start to show up in your relationship is far from now, you're absolutely wrong. They were considered as bad habits and crazily not accepted at the time when you're under your parents house.

'You're so fucking annoying, it's not even a big deal', 'Idiot', 'What are you, a child? Getting scared by a simple insect?', 'Why are you lazy, you're no use here'

By just thinking of those words, you feel your heart being ripped apart making it feel heavy. Wilhemina stood there near the mirror, brushing her gorgeous hair. You tried to distract your thoughts and looked at her lovingly. From a distance, she noticed you watching her, more like spacing out while staring at her.

"Staring is rude", she playfully said. You blinked away from her and shifted from your seat causing her to chuckle. "You can look, sweetheart", Wilhemina said lovingly and smiled at you which you returned with a shy smile.

After combing her hair, she then lay down on the bed with you. You easily wrapped your arms around her waist and smell her perfume. Her hands rubbed your back and gave you a peck on your cheeks. "Sleep now", she whispered against your lips then kiss it. Nodding your head, you closed your eyes as sleep consumed you both.

————

A faint sound of a flying insect made you open your eyes. Luckily, you didn't freak out because you would wake her up. Searching for your phone, you opened the flashlight and search for the insect.

"Fuck", you said under your breath. It was a big-ass cockroach. You absolutely hate those. You internally curse and quickly picked up your slippers.

Slowly, you walked near it and prepared yourself to hit is as hard as you can. Before you can hit it, it started to fly causing you to scream. Soon enough, Wilhemina woke up from her sleep and sees you standing in the middle of the room.

"What is it?", she asks concerned. Your heart was still beating that you didn't get the chance to speak when you felt the insect on your legs causing you to scream again and move from your position.

Wilhemina immediately stood up and opened the lights to see a cockroach on the floor, almost not moving. "There's a cockroach..", you faintly said and looked down looking scared.

She looked at you and a small giggle escaped her lips. But of course, you thought she's laughing and mocking at you so you bit your lip from embarassment and fiddle with your hands. "That's why you scream?", she said gently but boy you heard it wrong, you thought she's angry.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have—"

Not even finishing your sentence, you covered your face and started to tear up. Her face filled with adoration turned into a concerend one and went beside you. "Hey..", she said and softly moved away your hands just to find you crying your balls out.

"I'm not mad", she said, worry is plastered on her face. You sniffled, all your senses are blurry, not hearing her right. So dramatic, why am I crying. This causes you to cry even more, Wilhemina took you in her embrace and soothe your back by rubbing it.

"My m–mother said I'm.. s–stupid because I'm s–scared of these things..", choking out the words. Her eyes widen by this new information, she took you to the bed and sat besides you.

"No, no you're not stupid. Your fears are completely valid—"

"For a fucking small insect?", you yelled, clearly out of control of your emotions. She held your hands and squeezed it, "Yes, even with these small insects that scarily roam around", Wilhemina said.

Biting your lip, "I–I don't know, I feel like a coward for having these fears. It's not even worse like others have, I have no reason to—", but before you could finish she shut you up with a gentle kiss.

"None of that", she softly said. Cupping your cheeks, your watery eyes met her beautiful brown orbs. "All fears are valid, even those weird fears that some people have. Don't be shy about it, not from me", Wilhemina sincerely stated.

"You don't find it foolish?", you asked and she instantly shakes her head.

"Sorry for waking you up", Wilhemina flashed a smile and kissed your forehead after you spoke. You hugged her tightly and inhaled her scent. I'm safe with her. The thought appeared on your mind and you can't help but to smile.

"You look cute though", her voice breaks you from your thoughts. Looking up to her, you see her eyes sparkles with adoration. "It makes me want to love you more and protect you", she whispered enough for you to only hear. Being flustered by her words, you blushed and she chuckled by your attempt to hide it.

"Don't hide now", she jokes.

"Tomorrow, I'll buy an insect sprayer just for you", she said dramatically causing you to laugh.

"Stop it", you said, getting shy again.

"Nope", Wilhemina said.

Now you're sure that it's not bad to fear something because there will be someone who will make it go away.