Chapter 12: A Reminder of Reality

"Let me go!" I screamed, trying to summon a wave of light—I failed terribly, for not even the dimmest ray appeared. 

The two guards remained stoic as they dragged me down the stairs into the basement. The salty smell of seaweed were stronger than ever, chills crawled up my spine as a sudden wave of coolness took over. The walls were damp & dirty, darkness grew with each step until I could not see my own feet.

"Where are we going?" I questioned, fear started taking hold of what the Darkling would do.

Even in the dark, I can feel one of the guards smiling, "Oh, I think you'll like what you'll see Miss Starkov," his voice was deep & hollow, like a black void ready to engulf whatever willing to fall inside.

We came to a stop & one of the guards fiddled with a handle before opening a small trapdoor revealing the night sky & the endless ocean underneath. My heart plummeted into my chest watching the waves of water climbing up the ship's wall before falling back down.

"I've always enjoyed star gazing," A husky voice commented.

"Oh really? You dragged me here to star gaze with you?" I said without bothering to turn around.

Dimitri chuckled, "Doesn't have to be here. If you wish, we can do it in my room."

I scowled, "Go stargaze with Alluda Nicks if you're so interested."

The humor in his voice was gone, replaced with wicked dread, "Since Miss Starkov doesn't want to stargaze with me, perhaps she'll prefer to do it alone: somewhere quiet without any disturbances. I believe the ocean has a quiet atmosphere, soothing & quiet, a great view even, a very suitable place for a certain sankta."

The guards' grip tightened, shoving my head through the trapdoor. My heart raced in panic, "You wouldn't the Darkling took such a long time to find me, he would not let live if you killed me!"

Dimitri laughed, "Still stuck in your little dreams are you Alina? Well let me give you a reminder of reality: You're grisha power is fading. All that thorn wood & Sun summoner ritual isn't working quite correctly in fact. The Darkling wants you for your worth, after learning you're a hopeless case but a desperate little gurl for a boy who doesn't even want you, what's the point? Did you really think the Darkling doesn't know my personality? Or did you truly believed he loves you?"

My mouth was dry as a desert, "M-My powers?"

"Yes yes, shredded to nothing, some intermolecular force within your body, or someone else close to you preventing it, but no worries because," he flicked his hand & the guards shoved me out, "you're going to be dead annywayyyyys...." His voice faded away as gravity pulled me down the awfully high boat, to the calm black waters below.

I met the ocean with a cold hard splash of reality.