𝝝𝗡𝗘

The ticking sound from the clock picked up pace. Quickening, striking louder and louder, busting my eardrums and swallowing me whole.

Yet, even just avoiding the fierce look makes shivers run down my spine. "Can you do that?" My bosses head tilts slower than her question. Uncertainty taking over the sharp eyes when I failed to give an answer.

Could I?

Tonight was my rescheduled dinner with Carmen, which previously well... had been called off by me. Twice

We rarely ever saw each other anymore, both us us deep down already at therms with our busy "adult life". Her and I grew close over the span of our first year at Westminster Uni. She didn't change a single bit over the years, back then eager to achieve a bachelors degree in Business Management and Finance, as I admired her numerous talent when it came to numbers. 

Not sure I had ever met a more determined and hardworking person up until our worlds collided. I stuck to my Media and Communication courses. But Miss Mundt now works as a client relationship intern at some Investment group, still receiving plenty of calls from me whenever I struggle with anything remotely finance related. You know, stuff the world expects you to figure out on your own.

And I? Mhm, I was asking myself that every goddam day. Up until my father was kind enough to take the "lead" and show off- I mean live my life for me- no. Help me out  (his words not mine) by arranging an internship  at a team he has been sponsoring for years. Big thanks to Troger tho, Toto Wolf? An old fiend of course. 

The team principal of the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 team. You memorize that name pretty quickly when you see it on the back of everyone's shirts for two months. 

It's like you could've felt my dislike for the idea. And just like expected, I hated it. Working in a spot my father picked out. One of his investments so he could keep an eye on me. Yeah, I had more reasons to despise that job than to like it. 

At first.

Never thought I'd come to miss seeing people wear the same attire after said internship. Guess it didn't turn out as bad as I thought. Kinda even got my head off some things, while I was at it. Especially the strolling around the racetrack after work, part. Definitely my favorite life vest whenever you'd get sucked into the ginormous racing bubble. 

So after long and thoughtful consideration, that being an impulsive reaction, I accepted the offer to come back in a more serious position, which basically isn't that much different from before. Just includes me walking into all directions with a pass around my neck at all times.

They call it "media manager". I on the other hand believe errand girl - for the higher media managers seems to be more fitting. 

Yet suddenly I was no longer clueless when it came to the sport everyone around here loved so dearly, more the opposite, the more I seemed to think about it. Cars are actually, not at all uninteresting, yet I'd never admit that to my father. Let alone the fact that I've learned to enjoy being around the people in this environment. A daily reminder of his success and my failure. Which my insides can't help but hate, the fact that it's all my fathers doing. Yet, I chose to stay, and having picked  that I'll forever be forced to endure the bragging every time we talk.

If we talk, that is. 

It's been a ride, facing him whenever he was around during the last season. 

Nonetheless there's plenty of good things that came with the job, pretty sure my lovely best friend would agree. One of the two British Mercedes drivers seemed to spark an interest for the friend of mine I had started to bring along to races whenever she had time.