5

****TW: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS THE KILLING AND SACRIFICE OF ANIMALS ****

Atalanta frowned, hands resting on her knees as she attempted to catch her breath. Sirce rubbed the back of her neck, lips twisted with doubt. Just do the sacrifice here, girl.
Sirce sighed and gestured to Atalanta, "C'mon, let's just do it here."
"But we don't have the sacrifice yet?"
There's a dove in the tree to your right. Have the maiden shoot it. Sirce sniffed and tapped her friend's shoulder lightly. "Up there. Shoot it through the heart."

Atalanta furrowed her brow and nodded, silently drawing one of her last arrows from the quiver on her back. Sirce laid a firm hand on the woman's shoulder as the arrow was nocked. Her voice was barely a whisper. "Aim true."

Her hand remained pressed firmly on Atalanta's slim shoulder as she drew back the string, lips brushing against the fletching of the arrow. There was a pregnant quiet as the archer slowly aimed, arms steady with precision. Sirce swallowed as the dove ruffled its ivory wings, dark eyes blinking delicately. Her heart throbbed a little at the innocence of the creature. So small and frail. Sirce almost reached to lower Atalanta's bow as the bowstring was drawn taut.

Let it fly. It flew there for a reason. She is gifting herself.

Twang!

Like a dropping feather, the dove gently fell, landing softly in Sirce's hands. The warrior swallowed and nodded at her companion. "Good shot. Now, let's get this show on the road."

With hesitant hands she laid the dove on the ground and gathered twigs all around it. Beside her Atalanta carved the bird into small pieces, sprinkling it with the sacred grains stored in a tiny compartment on her belt. When the bird was covered, the women got to their knees, digging up handfuls of dirt and sprinkling it down from their left cheek to their necks. The scent of damp earth shrouded Sirce as she muttered to Atalanta, "Raise your hands."

In unison they presented their palms to the sky, a supplication to Almighty Xenia Guest, ruler of all the gods and creatures of the Wide Realm. Sirce felt a tremor in the ground as she cried out, "I call upon Alcmene Guardian, the Great Protector, Patron of Women!"

Atalanta let out a cough of surprise.

Sirce sucked in a deep breath and continued her plea.

"It is I, your noble Sirce Hebe; daughter of Cato, princess of Eila! I call upon you!"

Louder, Sirce. Let it shake the earth.

Sirce's voice burned with strain as she screamed, "It is I! Your faithful Sirce! I, who defended your priests and priestesses against the unholy!"

Atalanta shouted as the dirt beneath them began to shift like sand, as the dove's flesh sank into the earth, only the feathers remaining. The poplars swayed in a colossal wind, their leaves showering down upon the kneeling suppliants. Sirce couldn't stop the smile that broke out upon her face as the might of the great goddess pulsed in the world around them.

Beside her, Atalanta hissed sharply, body collapsing as the power beneath their knees rose to its height, engulfing them in vibrant green light. Sirce turned to look at the other girl. Her eyes widened as she saw Atalanta crumpled on the ground. Her palms were flat against the earth, her head drawn down in reverence. Sirce gasped and felt a surge of fear in her chest at her friend lain motionless. She is safe, girl. One last call, Sirce. One.

Sirce drew in a long breath and threw back her head, hair whipping around her neck. Her throat bobbed, chest lifted. "COME FORTH, ALCMENE! RISE FROM THE BLOOD AND REVEAL YOURSELF!"

The sky darkened over their heads, clouds black as soot, as a great thunderclap shook the ground. Atalanta let out a small whimper, body slackened with fear. Sirce grit her teeth and crawled to the maiden's side, arms encumbering her as there was a shine from the clouds above. Heart in mouth, she dragged Atalanta back, knees skidding on the dry grass as there was a blinding flash. A wave of prickling static. Sirce's breath hitched as a figure emerged from among the lightning. Atalanta seized Sirce's hand in a death grip as they peered at the tall figure now standing in the clearing.

Almost in an instant, the sun broke through the darkness. The clouds disappeared as if they had been a light vapour. Sirce's face widened into a broad, awed smile. She gently slumped the still-shocked Atalanta against a tree trunk, while she herself rose unsteadily to her feet. Prayers rested on the tip of her tongue as she moved toward the woman awaiting her. Static still filled the air as Sirce slowly walked to her Patron, eyes wide with fealty.

She knelt on one knee, face shining with admiration as Sirce breathed, "I had not expected your enthusiasm. A sacrifice rarely leads to a summoning."

"I was feeling generous," Alcmene said, face cool with seriousness. The goddess nodded to Atalanta. "Besides, I haven't seen a maiden of Auryon Huntress in a long time."

Sirce glanced over where Atalanta was panting, eyes blinking slowly in stupefaction. She wrinkled her nose and sighed. "You didn't have to scare the living daylight out of her."

"I didn't, but I wanted to. Besides, is that any way to speak to your Patron, hm?"

Sirce rolled her eyes as the goddess's youthful eyes narrowed playfully, her peacock-green skin pulsing with light as her human stared at her tiredly. The young warrior replied wearily, "It's no way to speak to you, but I don't have much time."

Alcmene nodded. "I know."

Sirce swallowed, head turning as faint shouts of men echoed in the distance. Her heart sank. Her lips thinned as she breathed, "I need your help."

The goddess nodded, hands brushing through her long dark curls, a grim steadiness in her gaze. She nodded to Atalanta. "You will need that last arrow, child."

Sirce's brow furrowed. "You have a plan?"

The goddess chuckled. "I always do, Sirce."