36

"I hope he comes soon I'm starving." Atalanta crossed her arms, pouting.

"I can't believe he trusts us enough to leave us alone," Sirce said, thumb brushing the back of the huntress's hand. "Back in Eila we'd have four guards per guest."

"Yeah but you were royalty."

Were. Sirce wrinkled her nose, finger poking the ashes of the fire. Atalanta leaned against her shoulder, long loose hair spilling over her skin. The girls intertwined their fingers, tips tracing slow circles. The princess breathed in the light scent of her woman, lips grazing her cheek.

"He could be back any minute," the huntress whispered, brown eyes flickering. "You heard what he said...it's not safe."

The princess ducked her hand, hand squeezing tight. "I know, I know. For once I actually miss the ship."

The women smirked at one another, throats bobbing. Sirce looped an arm around her waist and turned her body. Heat rose over her skin as Atalanta's doe eyes blinked slowly at her, mouth turned in a subtle jeer. Gods she's a menace.

"You're a nuisance I hope you know," the princess purred, fingers caressing Atalanta's chin. Sirce slowly lifted it, lips brushing against hers. The huntress pushed back stronger, hands gripping the back of Sirce's head.

Sirce melted as her mouth was attacked with slow, rolling kisses. Atalanta's hand drifted slowly down her neck, fingertips slipping beneath the neckline of the other woman's tunic.

"I thought you were worried," Sirce gasped.

"It's your faulkt, you beast." Atalanta knocked her onto her back, lips leaving her mouth and trailing achingly slow across the princess's throat. Sirce's heart leaped as those expert fingers circled her breasts gently, inching-

A door slammed open. Instantly their bodies broke apart. The princess leapt to her feet, heart hammering as heavy footsteps echoed down from the front door.

"Hello?"

Atalanta rose up next to her, fingers stretching for a invisible bow. The girls craned their necks, eyes wide as only silence answered. Oh gods, what if these people changed their minds? They could be coming to kill us right now. Oh fuck Alcmene, what have you gotten us into?

You really are a faithless fool.

"It's just me!" Jason appeared in the doorway. His hair was curly with sweat as he stomped to the empty fire pit. Sirce let out a loud breath, limbs loosening again. She nodded, taking a step back.

He didn't spare them a glance as he dropped on his ass, legs folding neatly beneath him. It was a relief since both had bedraggled hair and slightly askew garments. The blue in his eyes was dull as he added breathlessly, "Sorry if I frightened you. I had an eventful night."

He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, shoulders shaking with effort. The stench of donkey hung off him, thin silver hairs clung to his tunic and trousers. Sirce tilted her head as she noted tiny dots of scarlet scattered over his cheeks. Eventful. Why?

Jason's nostrils flared as he drew in a long, rattled breath. His hand raked through his hair, fingers arched harshly. Atalanta shot the princess a concerned scowl, bottom lip jutted out in the usual unimpressed fashion. Sirce deepened her brow in warning before cautiously sitting beside their shaken host.

She dared to reach out, squeeze his shoulder. "Jason...what happened?"

Ah. So tactful. Alcmene's voice was laced with dripping derision. Sirce forced her eyes from rolling and swallowed. "You don't look so good."

Jason laughed softly, hands rubbing his eyes. "Don't I?"

Those sharp eyes peeked through the gaps of his fingers. She grit her teeth, biting back a fiercer jab. Tactful. Be tactful, Sirce. You can do that. Sirce bit her lip, hands unsure what to do; if he was a friend she might have offered a hug, a gentle squeeze on the arm. So the princess twiddled her thumbs, saliva a sticky paste on her tongue.

Atalanta was still on her feet, mouth twisted. Sirce drew in a sharp breath and nudged Jason's shoulder tentatively. "If you need us to leave, we'll leave. I'm guessing you didn't get any rest."

He sighed and offered an apologetic smile. "No. No. It's fine. It's not you. I just had a run in with someone who - fuck it, doesn't matter."

Sirce hesitantly brushed her fingertips across his cheek. The red came off a little. Fresh. That's not upsetting at all. The princess gnawed on her lip, keenly aware that Atalanta's stare was locked on Jason, nostrils flaring like an ox.

Sirce drew back her hand, cheeks flushed a little. "Sorry. I just- did you...?"

"Gods no!" Jason sniggered with shock, brows arched high. "No, it wasn't anything like that, I promise. Oh fuck it, it was...I ran into..."

"Who?" Atalanta asked, lips forming a slightly terrifying smile. At least she's trying. Sirce gave her a nod. Jason glanced over to the huntress, coy smile on his face. Atalanta returned it, eyes strained with effort.

Jason didn't seem bothered in the slightest. He rubbed the back of his neck with a soft grin and replied, "It was Abigale. I ran into Abigale."

Abigale? Who? Sirce frowned, scratching her head. "Wh-"

Fucking gods, I'll do this myself. She remembered a flash of green eyes, coral hair that clung to skinny shoulders. "That lunatic?"

Jason snickered. "Yeah. That lunatic."

He stared at his hands, ears reddening. Sirce set her mouth, lump in throat as she croaked, "What did she do?"

Jason snorted, pinched the bridge of his nose. "Where do I start? She's fucking nuts."

He looked between the two women, eyes hard. "Seriously - steer clear; she's not right in the head."

"Why?" Atalanta's voice cut through the air. "Why is she so unwell? What did she do to you?" There was genuine fear, maybe a little apprehension. The huntress slowly knelt to the ground, nails picking at the skin of her knee.

Sirce's throat bobbed. Jason was just staring at the wall, hand brushing over the spots of blood still stuck to his skin. His lips parted a little, fingers drummed against the smooth floor. "She... fuck, why is this so hard?"

That's what she said. Sirce held in a snort as her Patron's icy voice echoed in her head. Ever the composed goddess.

Jason shook his head and got to his feet. "You know what, it's a story for another time. Come, let's get you some breakfast, you must be starving."

"Ah o-okay," Sirce stammered, glancing over at Atalanta. Her face was a mixture of confusion and bewilderment.

Jason didn't wait for them. He glided from the room toward the kitchen, eyes still wide-set and wandering. Sirce sidled to the huntress and brushed her hand delicately. "I could eat, eh?"

"What did she do, Sirce?" Atalanta shook her head, skin a warm grey. The princess shrugged, trying to ignore the pit in her stomach.

"I don't know. But at least we know to avoid her."

"Mm. Maybe." Atalanta sighed, mouth set. I know that look.

"Hey," Sirce cupped her cheek with a nervous grin. "Don't dwell on it. It's not our concern."

"I guess."