19

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SCENES OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Abigale sucked in a breath as the crowd parted before her. She couldn't move, couldn't speak. "Oh fuck."

Beside her Bruce hissed. She didn't care. Abi swallowed. Maybe if I close my eyes it will all go away. Everything. And I will wake up in bed on a sunny morning. No matter how hard she screwed her eyes shut she opened them to the same horrible thing.

"Ah! So my daughter finally arrives!"

"Hello Nisus."

Her father wasted no time. Abigale was herded into his villa, all the eyes of the village pinned to her back.

It was a nice house; storm-grey stone with gold-trimmed windows and doorknobs. The garden was full of yellow roses and belladonna, all kept by a nameless servant.

She couldn't think, could barely walk as he pushed her through the door.

Abi couldn't remember the last time she'd visited his home. Somehow everything still looked the same. The walls were still that cool grey, mounted with rusty swords and spears. The bookshelves were gathered in dust and cobwebs; Nisus was not one for reading. Tapestries of heroes slaying drakōns still hung limply over windows, their colours faded from the sun. Intricately painted kylixes and amphoras were scattered about, the latter full to the brim of the best summer wine. Abi doubted her would notice that one of them was missing.

The floor plan was rigid and straight, all sharp corners and boxed rooms, typical of aristocratic architecture. It was set out like every other villa on the street; fire pit at the heart, branching off bed chambers, a sparse dining area, a study for conducting business and a parlour filled with the spoils of war.

The witch followed the man into his long dining room, the space lit with candles and dim sunshine. Even summer dared not to enter her father's house.

The room was spacious, a long oak table taking up most of the room. Candlesticks balanced on carved shelves in the marble and more swords and shields were hung about, their metal dim with disuse.

"Sit." Nisus seized her arm and flung her down on one of the cushioned seats. Abigale's fingers curled over the edge, her heart racing. She couldn't understand it. Nisus wasn't supposed to return until the end of summer. Why would he give up the chance at more wealth, more gold? He was the greediest fucking prick she knew. What does he have to gain?

Abigale didn't bother to paint a sweet smile. Didn't bother to maintain that honeyed spirit. Her father was not worth the effort.

Abi gripped her knees as her father took a seat at the head of the long oak table, green eyes narrowed. He laughed softly. "You look surprised, girl."

She didn't reply. Don't play with him. You've don't play a game you don't understand.

"I didn't expect to return so early in the season," the man drawled, teeth bared. "But duty - well, Bruce - called."

Abigale's throat bobbed. A pain pulsed in her gut. Stay together. He doesn't know anything. None of them do.

Nisus leaned forward, eyes glittering. "Bruce is not one to ask for help, especially from me. But you know that, don't you Abigale?"

The witch clenched her jaw, heart in mouth. She would stay cool. Resolved. It was the only card to play. Lejla, protect me. Please. A slight shiver down her back. Her shoulders slumped a little as a smooth voice entered her mind. Of course.

"You've been busy this summer, girl. I know that. Bruce knows that. Fuck, the whole village knows it!"

Abi smiled lightly. "Have I?"

Nisus snarled and leapt from his chair. She had no time to escape when he leapt to her side, hands seizing her shoulders. Before she could even comprehend what he was doing, her body was thrown from the chair to the hard tiles.

Pain erupted in her knee as it slammed into the floor, her head lolling to the side. A groan broke through her lips.

The air receded from her lungs as she sprawled on the stone, mind reeling. She hadn't expected his beatings to come so soon. Foolish dumbass.

Suddenly those strong hands were grabbing her hair, the back of her neck, forcing her up on her knees. Abigale hissed as Nisus tugged at her hair. "You arrogant slut."

She gasped as he yanked at her, eyes ablaze with ferocity. "Nisus-"
"Do you even understand what you've done?"

He released her, hands pulling at his own hair. "You're just like your bitch of a mother - dabbling in shit you don't belong in."

His daughter didn't dare to rise, to speak. She remained cowering on the floor, tears springing into her eyes. Mother.

The man adjusted his toga, set his jaw. "I told you to stop. I told you there would be consequences. Yet you defy me."

Abi bowed her head, mouth dry. Consequences. You really think that frightens me? She balled her hands into fists as her father began to pace around. His steps were heavy, the sound sharp as his sandals slapped against the stone floor. She'd forgotten that sound.

Her lip curled as she dared to growl, "Stop acting like you care. We both know it's bullshit."

"I don't give a fuck about you," Nisus laughed, eyes wild as he jerked his head to meet her gaze. "I give a fuck about me. My reputation."

Abigale huffed, shoulders slumping as she managed to rise to her feet. Her chest grew tight but somehow the witch answered, "Don't you worry. You've made it clear you have nothing to do with me."

Nisus rolled his eyes, tongue flicking. "You still have my blood, however dirty it may be. My daughter, the witch, doesn't bode well for me."

Abi smirked, shaking her head. "No, it doesn't. But half the men of this village have bastards like me; we aren't legitimate. We don't actually matter to you." She tilted her head. "It's lucky you didn't have a son."

She half expected him to hit her, thrown her down again like a beaten dog. Instead, Nisus trailed to a window, teeth bared. His voice was almost a whisper.

"Someday you will burn."

Abi nodded, a wry smile on her face. "Probably."

She didn't wait for him to say another word. The witch turned on her heel and scrambled away, body aching.

Nisus is back. Nisus is back. Dear gods... She sucked in a sharp breath, knees shaking. Abi needed to get back to the cottage, the Serpent-spit. Before she made an enemy of Telemachus too.

Who knew being a sorceress would be so taxing?

Abi didn't pay attention to the ruckus of the crowd as she trudged back home, didn't hear the growing whispers as masses of Callkai began to run toward the southern beach.