31

Abigale rolled her eyes and thudded down on the grass. "You know I have things to do, right?"

Andriel snorted. "Sure you do. But this is far more important."

The god stretched his arm to the horizon. "You see this, child?"

The witch rolled her eyes. "What, the fucking sky?"

The god clenched his jaw, eyes flickering. The air round them flared with heat as he growled, "Callkis; that is what you should see. Look at how empty this place is right at this moment."

Abi glanced around, nails digging into her hands. Andriel turned his gaze to the trees, the still grasses. His voice echoed like a thunderclap. "It is the only place like it. Anywhere else in the Wide Realm there would be a hut, a village, a temple. Anywhere else, this island would be covered with farms, vineyards, whatever else you mortals delight in wasting your time."

Sure, growing food so we don't starve is wasting time. Abigale crossed her arms, heels digging into the sandy dirt. "Your point, oh holy one?"

She gasped in surprise as Andriel leapt down before her, pressing his face inches from her own. His breath smelled like honey as he whispered, "Haven't you ever wondered why?"

Abigale felt a shudder travel down her spine. The god pat her cheek, eyes burning with intensity as he hissed, "You're a smart girl. Surely it has lingered on your mind?"

The witch flinched as Andriel clamped a hand on the back of her neck, nails digging deep. Abi winced, heart pattering. The air around them seemed to grow heavier with hot mist as the god forced her head to face the dense forest. "I am the very reason your people are here. The very reason no one has attacked you, overcome you; for the warriors of the mainland would have no troubles in razing your little village to the ground."

Abigale gasped in pain as her skin ached with heat, as sweat fell into her eyes. Her lips stuck to one another as she ground out, "Why?"

"Because of that."

Andriel jabbed a finger to the forest, grip harder. The witch moaned, squinting into the black. "I don't understand?"

His lips grazed her ear as the god growled, "You see that, child?"

"Yes." Abigale frowned.

"Let's just say it's mine."

The witch felt cold sweat trickle down her nose. Abi froze, arms trembling as she gasped, "Just tell me what you came here for."

Andriel's voice caressed her like silk as he laughed, grip finally loosening. "I need your help."

"What sort of help?"

"I want you to protect what is mine."

"I don't-"

Something broke through the trees. Andriel cursed softly, patting her shoulder. His lips brushed her ear as he hissed, "I will return. Stay alive, Medea."

Before Abi could blink, the god was gone, his strange words still churning her insides.

Abigale stiffened with fear as a strong voice cut through the distance. "Hey you!"

The witch's eyes cut to where a tall figure galloped on a donkey, just out of the tree line. SHIT. Abigale frantically looked around. She was completely exposed; no sign of anything to disappear behind.

"Oh gods, oh gods."

Like a hopeless puppy she stumbled a few steps each direction, mouth parted in panic. She couldn't risk being seen out here. Abigale was in enough trouble as it was, a stroll in the wilderness by the cover of night wasn't something she wanted on her resume.

The thud of the hoofbeats drew closer, weakened the back of her knees. She needed an escape. Or at least a plan. And neither seemed likely to arise in the next few seconds.

Abigale glanced around desperately, teeth grinding. The rider was getting closer, closer. If she ran and they saw her they would run her down; it was the way of the Callkai.

If she was questioned, what was there to say? Oh, the god of victory brought me out here to have a little chat. Abi drew in a sharp breath, the echoes of hoofs rumbling through the earth.

With a heart stabbed with fear the girl threw herself down. Her belly pressed in the grass and Abigale lowered her head, fingers braced in the course dirt. She could only pray that the donkey didn't trample her, pray that perhaps her clumsy disappearance convinced the rider the night was playing tricks.

Abigale held her breath, body stout as a tree. She couldn't risk the sway of a single blade of grass. Couldn't risk the twitch of a finger.

After a couple minutes of silence, the witch was almost convinced her ploy had worked. A tight smile stretched her lips and she let out a relieved breath. Thank the-

"I should have guessed it was you."

Sandalled feet stamped down inches from her head. Abi scrunched her nose, lungs deflating. "I could say the same about you."

With stiffened limbs the girl slowly rose to her feet, throat clogged. Those cerulean eyes glittered in the dark as Jason smirked. Typical ass.

Abi brushed off her chiton, lifting her chin. "Stalking me now, are you?"

"Don't flatter yourself." The man leaned against his donkey, hands clutching the reins loosely. As if the donkey wouldn't trample him the moment he let go. As if Abi wouldn't tell it to.

Jason cleared his throat. "If you hate the sight of the sea so much do us a favour and go to the mainland."

"What are you prattling?" Abi glared, too tired to untangle the jabs. The man wet his lips with a restrained grin.

"You looked like a drowned cat after you saved that woman."

"And?" Abi crossed her arms. "Let me guess, the other girl looked like a Nereid and finally everyone could see how truly wretched i am?"

"Pretty much. You were only with that poor girl for a few minutes and she already despises you; you have a real talent Abigale."

"So do you, man whore. As soon as we washed on the shore I made a bet with Cain Ending that you would invite the stranger into your house. Glad to know I was right."

"I am doing the godly thing," he snapped, cheeks flushing red. "You probably haven't realised but the chief god is the one of guests."

His bottom lip stuck out as Jason attempted to regain composure, words still dripping with venom as he purred, "It doesn't matter; I'm not the woman out here in the middle of the night."

"There isn't a difference," Abi growled, curling a lock of hair around her finger. "Now run along before you embarrass yourself any more."

Jason rolled his eyes, jaw clenched. "I'm not going anywhere. Neither are you."

"Say that in a less murder-like way. Unless you'll actually go through with it, although even for me that's a little far fetched."

"It wouldn't be murder," Jason breathed, teeth flashing. "It would be a favour. You can't name a single person in Callkis who wants you alive."

The witch sniggered. "No I can't. Yet once again here I stand at your mercy."

She always was with him. The two of them danced on a blade, the odds of both surviving waning with each moment they met. A cruel poetry, seeming as only one could get away with killing the other. And yet he never strikes.

Jason lowered his eyes, skin burning scarlet as the girl stared him down. His words were almost tossed away on the wind as he breathed, "At my mercy. And you don't give a shit."

Abigale smiled. "How could I? You obviously need something. You've needed it since the forest."

Sharp cold surprise spread down her neck as Jason replied, "I have."