Chapter 22- An apology

The following Friday, I couldn't help but feel fluttery and happy. Ben and I had both confessed to each other, and we had been spending time together. Mostly at night, because I didn't get a single break during my fall break. I couldn't be happier. Who knew I would be head over heels for a ghost.

I was totally delusional.

But I didn't care. 

I was happy. The happiest I have been in a long time. 

Though the constant reminder rang in my head.

This won't last forever.

Ben was in pain. Alive or not, he was going to need to move on eventually. Of course, I was trying to keep him for as long as I could. I was blinded by the obsession of loving someone who loved me back. I knew it wasn't healthy.

I didn't care. 

But just in the past few days, I still tried to figure out Ben's entire murder. I already got so caught up in it, I now had to finish what I started. So far, I haven't been able to figure out my next move. Should I confront Mike? Should I speak to the authorities and let them handle it? How would I explain myself? Would I become a suspect?

How do I resolve this?

I knew something the entire town didn't. They all believe Ben is missing, and there is no confirmation that he is dead. If I come forward with information about Ben's whereabouts, what would everyone think of me? 

What would Belle and her family think?

Anger and frustration bubbled inside my chest. Who in their right mind could do such a cruel thing? Mike seemed like such a normal guy. It wasn't fair.

I finally came to the conclusion of what I must do. 

Seconds felt like minutes, the minutes felt like hours. I sat on the park bench, anxiously fidgeting with my sweater. 

He should be here. Where was he?

After what felt like an eternity, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to look at the person.

Mike.

"Hey," he said awkwardly, "why did you want to meet me here?"

I ungracefully sat up from my seat. I noticed I was shaking slightly. I couldn't tell if it was from the cold, or how scared I felt. Looking at Mike just made me nervous.

"Where does James live?" I decided to ask the question and get straight to the point.

Mike raised a brow. "Oh, he lives in the blue house on Bentley avenue. Why?"

My breath trembled. "Uhm. I just need to talk to him. And I need to apologize for breaking his nose."

"Why didn't you just text me?" Mike chuckled awkwardly. "Did you need anything else, or-"

"I want to show something to you," I told him as I reached into my pocket. I pulled out the Majora's Mask cartridge and waved it at him. 

Mike's face went extremely pale. It was a reaction I was expecting, though it still disappointed me that he even had that sort of reaction.

"Wh-where did you-" Mike stammered.

"I'll see you around," I said flatly, walking away.

Mike was stunned from shock, but I ignored him and left him by himself in the park. I made my way to Bentley avenue, which thankfully wasn't too long of a walk. There was only one blue house on the street, which made things easier for me. For some reason, I wasn't actually expecting a noticeably blue house like Mike had said. I walked up the front porch stairs and took a deep breath.