17

17
I am running through my house, carrying the nuke control panel close to my chest. Close to my heart. I'm almost there, mom. Im almost there. As Casey and I run through the hall I stop and put on the alarm system. Thy should buy us sometime. I have to get to a place where I can see the nuke. I have to see it fly into the sky and burn down all the pain that I feel. I have to watch it even though it will kill me.
I run to the patio. The one I went to every night before I went to bed. The one that holds the memory of me, telling my mom I hated her.
I open the doors and I think my lungs collapsed inside mr chest. The memory replays it's self, like a movie, right infront of me.
"there are no more soldiers. Our army has everything under control. You can set the bomb now." sad Casey as he stands behind me. I nod my head to show I understand. I take a step. then another, and another. I'm over looking the city and the lights make me want to cry. But I don't. I put the control panel on the railing and open the case. I look at the screen and the bottoms that will activate something that will kill so many people. Thousands of people. My hands shake as my fight with my mom plays word for word in my head. "this is your state and it's filled with your people and I will not let you turn your back on them."
I have done so many things, horrible things. All to give these people what they deserve. But what about what my parents deserve? They gave their lives for me and this state. And blowing it up seems like a poor way to repay them.
"I... I can't do it Casey." I say as I look at him. "it's my state.... And it's filled with my people." I close the case. "Braydon, nows really not the time to take your moms words to heart." he says softly. "i can do it, if you can't" he steps closer to me and I have my gun pointed at his head before he can say my name. My hand is shaking with my finger on the trigger. "how did you know my mom said that?" I ask bitterly. "I never told you about my fight with her." he got that same look in his eyes from when he told me about the train Jayla had to go on, like he's kicking himself mentally.
"Braydon---"
"No! No, you answer me!" I scream.
"we did it okay!" he screams and the cussed to himself.
"my dad and I watched you and your whole family. Everything was planned from the very beginning. "
No. No. He... He wouldn't. Would he?
"Casey?" I ask softly.
"you... Killed my family? Why? What did we ever do to you? I trusted you!" I scream.
"I don't know, Braydon. I was just following orders. Please. I'm so sorry."
"so if you got orders to jump off a building would you do it?" I spat.
"it's different---"
"yeah. You would rather kill off a whole family than to die yourself."
"I saved your life more times than I can count." he says bitterly.
"I guess that was a mistake on your part. I give you permission to cry and beg before I put a bullet in your brain."
He laughs to himself.
"a quick death huh?" he asks.
"oh you deserve more. But I don't want to waste another minute with you." I'm about to pull the trigger when I hear marching in the hall way. A man sees me. "she got a gun!" He exclaims. Before I could say or do anything to Casey, he jumps off the balcony. I watch him go. "coward! Your a coward Casey!" I screech at him. My cheeks burn from my tears. A man cone up to me, knocks the gun put of my hands, spins me around and places cuffs on my hands. "we found her with the bomb and the suspect." says the man who holds me still. I stare at the ground, my tears falling like a rain storm. I try to hold in my sobs but it becomes too hard. I failed. I didn't protect the city. I didn't protect jayla and I didn't protect my heart. And I don't know how much more I can take before I jump off a building.
"Braydon?" I look up to the person who spoke my name.
"uncle Ben?"
"Let her go! She's my niece." he commands. I fall to my knees and continue to cry. He kneels down next to me and pulls me into his embrace. I reluctantly put my arms around his neck and cry in to his shoulder. "what happened?"
"he lied to me uncle Ben. I was going to wipe out the wrong people." I sob. "it's okay. We captured their leader and have their compound surrounded with soldiers. It's over."