1

Applause breaks from the audience. They are clapping for my parents for the speech they just gave. For the first time in my life, I don't bother to listen. They stand at the podium in front of the entire state of Ohio. Their shoulders back, their backs as straight as a pencil, their heads are always parallel to the floor. After exactly three minutes of applause my brothers and sister and I stand up and walk forward to take our rightful place next to my parents.

My two older brothers stand next to my mother. Me and my little sister stand next to my father. We stand just as they do. But I can't help but look around. The biggest rule in the house when we stand in front of an audience is to keep our head and eyes looking forward. But today my eyes wander. So does my mind. I look at the face of my two older brothers, Calvin and Dulce. They look just as my mother does. Perfect. The way we are supposed to be. I look down at my little sister, Jayla. She no longer has her stuffed bunny in her arms. Instead she stands how I picture Hitler would stand. It doesn't seem right. She is only five years old and yet I feel like she is even more mature than me. My father's lips form words that I do not hear. I look to the audience. Everyone is cheering. I scan faces. They look so normal. They look so real and care free. I wish I was like that. But instead I stand above them like a robot.

If I had it my way I would be down there. With the real people. Not up here with the fake.

My parents are the presidents of the last state in the United States of America. I don't know what happened to all the others. Some say that they were blown to bits. Others say an earth quake swallowed them whole. Then my parents tell me that it doesn't matter what happened. It only matters what is going to happen in the future and that we shouldn't dwell on the past.

The only words I hear out of the whole speech are the words, "thank you" and "good night" the words I've been waiting to hear. We turn to the side and Jayla starts to walk off the stage. I follow her, followed by father and the rest of my family. We make our way to our private elevator. We had it made so it can take us from the stage straight to our house. It's like our own private little train. No one speaks. We are only allowed to speak when spoken to by our parents. Another freedom that is taken away. "What did you think of the speech, Dulce?" asks my father. I wait for his reply so when they ask me I will know what to say.

"I thought it was perfect. You made some very strong points but I did point out one or two weak ones. Perhaps I should read over your speech the next time you give one about this specific topic, father." What specific topic? Why can't he be more specific? Wait. Did my brother just say perhaps? He sounds even more like a robot than usual. And that's saying something about Dulce.

Dulce is the fun loving brother. He's the one that taught me how to sneak food into my room then sneaking the trash out. Eating outside of the dining area is strictly prohibited. Anyone who breaks this rule is to be punished immediately. What that means exactly I cannot say because I have never been caught. Dulce is a lot like me in a lot of ways but at the same time we are completely different. The main difference is he can't wait to be president. I can wait a life time.

"Calvin, we are giving another speech tomorrow morning and your father and I would like for you to give a statement with us as well," and this gets my attention. To give a statement alongside my parents is like receiving the noble prize. It's a once in a life time opportunity.

"I would be honored." replies Calvin.

We arrive at our house on top of the hill. My parents step out of the elevator then Calvin, then Dulce, then me, then Jayla. Age is everything in this house. The eldest of the house, (Calvin) after my parents die, will be the next president. Then Dulce, then me, then Jayla, then Jayla's children. That's how it's been ever since the United States met its end almost 300 years ago.