8

I refuse to go to training until I see Jayla. That's what I decided last night. I will do my part if they do theirs. There is a knock on the door but I just sit on my bed, still in my hospital gown with my arms folded across my chest.

"Reed. Hurry up." Shouts Casey. But I don't even flinch. "No." I shout back at the door. "If you aren't out here in ten seconds I will come in and drag your ass out." I am a little offended by his language but it's not like I have never cussed before. I hear him countdown from ten. The door swings open and crashes against the wall, a loud echo goes throughout the room.

He stares at me. "Why aren't you dressed?" he asks. I just stick up my nose and turn my head from him.

"Get. Up." I can practically feel the heat from his temper rising in the room.

"Not until I see Jayla. Then I will go train and do whatever you want me to do."

"I am not playing this game. You get up, get dressed and get to training right now or I'll-"

"you'll what? Tell your daddy on me?" I ask, rolling my eyes.

"At least I still have a 'daddy'." I don't look at him. I clench my hands at my side, stare at the ground and hold back my tears. "I'm getting Jayla. We are leaving."

I stand up and walk straight pass him. Until he grabs my wrist. "Stay here. I'll get her. Then you'll get to training." He shoves me back into the room and leaves, slamming the door behind him.

I hate Casey. I hate him. He makes me want to be dead. He makes me wish that I didn't survive that attack. He makes me wonder if it's even worth fighting for.

I don't sit down. I just stand in the center of the room waiting for him to bring my sister to me. I should have gone with him. What if he hurts her? If he does anything to her, I'll kill him. And I won't think twice about it.

The door swings open. Jayla, holding Casey's hand, walks in then runs to me. I kneel down, with my arms open to catch her. She wraps her little arms around my neck and I squeeze her as hard as I can. "Are you hurt? Are you okay? Did he do anything to you?" I whisper in her ear.

"I'm okay. Are you hurt?" she asks me when I pull her away and look at her face. There are small cuts on her forehead and cheeks. Some bruises on her arms and legs. She is doing better than me but all I can think about are the marks on her body and the scars on her heart.

"I'm okay. I'm okay." I say.

I hold her head in my hands as I look at her.

"It's okay. We are going to be okay." I say. I forget Casey is even in the room until he says, "We have to get to training. Hurry up."

Jayla looks at me. "What are you training for?" she asks me.

I don't know what to tell her. How do I tell my little sister who lost everyone and everything she has ever loved that I have to go and fight against the people who made us orphans?

"The people who killed our family are very bad people." I tell her. I hold back my tears.

"they need to be stopped." I take a deep breath.

"I'm going to help fight against them. Do you understand, Jayla?" I ask. She begins to breath heavy. Tears form in her eyes and her lip whimpers.

"No." she whispers.

"No! Braydon you can't go! Please don't leave me!" She screams at the top of her lungs.

"I'm so sorry Jayla." She starts to fight against the grip I have on her arms.