7

Casey drags me in to an office with the name Qwen Collins on the desk. Collins. That is the name of the man we were going to be taken to. "She's here." says Casey. The chair behind the desk spins around and in that chair sits who I guess is Qwen Collins. "Braydon. How are you?" Casey lets go of my wrists and goes to sit in a corner.

"That's a stupid question. I just saw my parents and brothers killed along with who-knows how many other people. I was shot twice. I was dragged here against my will. I was interrogated. I had to meet that thing over there called your son who has harmed me in one way or another," Mr. Collins eyes get wide as I motion to Casey, but Casey just rolls his eyes. "Then I had surgery done with a rusty pair of pliers and a pocket knife. And I don't know where my little sister is. How do you think I am doing?"

Mr. Collins just leans back in his chair and sighs. "I know." he mumbles. "No. you don't know. No one knows. You don't know what it's like to watch your life fall apart in all but one day. So don't say that you know." I lean over his desk. Staring him in his eyes, so he can see my pain. "I'm sorry Braydon. You shouldn't have had to go through that. And don't worry; your sister is safely in our nannies care. She's well fed, clothed, and warm and I was notified a few minutes ago that she is sound asleep." I relax a little but I keep my stern look on my face.

"Why do you want us here in the first place?" I ask, taking a seat in a chair that Casey brought over. "When I found out that there was another state I built this compound in hopes to keep Ohio safe in case anything went wrong."

"How do you know there is another state? And which state is it?" I ask.

"It's not just one state. We think it's a group of nomads that survived the United States down fall and are now looking for a place to take over." I try to take this all in but I can't. Ohio has always been open to new people. So why would they just want to take it over if everything was already fine?

"You still haven't answered my question to why am I here?"

"We want to protect you Braydon," he says softly.

"No, I mean why am I here? In this office. Why did you want to speak to me?"

He looks over at Casey then back at me. "We need you Braydon. We need you to help us fight back."

I have to choke back a laugh. "Are you stupid? I can't fight back! I'm not a soldier. I am the president's helpless daughter."

"Yes, the president's daughter that managed to escape death in the elevator, make it back to your house, survived the raid and walk to the edge of the city while supporting your little sister." It didn't feel like I did all those things. It felt like I lost. It still feels that way. "No. I can't do anything. I'm going to go find Jayla." I walk to the door and put my hand on the handle and turn it. I am half way out the door when Qwen Collins says, "if you leave then I have no choice but to put you back out on the streets. You and your sister." I stop in my tracks. I can't go back out there. Not with Jayla. It would be just a matter of time before we are recognized and executed.

"You wouldn't." I say, my voice shaking. "I'm afraid I have no choice. This compound is only big enough to hold soldiers and their families. And if you're not going to help us then I have to let you go." I take a deep breath and walk back inside, shutting the door behind me. I close my eyes when I say "what do you want me to do?"

***

Training starts tomorrow morning. I am escorted to a small room that looks more like a cell. It is made of cold concrete. There is a stained mattress, with a blanket and a pillow case stuffed with old newspaper for a pillow. There isn't even room for a sink or toilet. I sit on my bed, my military uniform in my hands. I stare down at them when drops of water slowly start to fall onto the fabric. But I'm not crying. I look up and a drop of water falls on my face just as I hear a toilet up above flush. And then I start to cry.