18

18
I wake up in a hospital bed. Uncle Ben was by my side. He had his hand on mine. I slide my hand out from under his. It reminded me all to much of how Casey used to hold my hand. Even if it was wired for both of us. "I'm so glad your awake." says uncle Ben.
"I'm not." I reply.
"don't worry, Braydon. All the bad stuff is over. I talked to tue doctor and he said that you won't need any sugary. Just like I promised you when you were little."
"you have a habit of keeping me from my death bed."
"that's what family is for." he whispers. Tears come to my eyes.
"speaking of family. Where's yours? They weren't at the safe house. And why weren't you with them."
My heart beats faster and with each beat, a tear falls.
"you don't know, do you?" I ask, my voice dry and tight.
"know what?"
"their dead. All of them. My mom. My dad. Dulce. Calvin. Jayla. They killed them."
All the color drains from his face. He can't speak. He froze. I wonder if this is what I looked like when I saw my family die. No. Hearing about it and being there when it happens are too completely different things. I must have looked worse.
"excuse me, Braydon." he stands up, kisses the top of my head then leaves. I bring my knees up to my chest and hide my face in my hands. I cried till my uncle walked back in. "it's time to go home Braydon." he says.
"I don't have a home." I whisper.
"I don't either. But I figured my home would be where ever you are." I get out of my bed and run to him. He is so tall that my arms only wrap around his waist and my head rests on his chest. "I love you, Uncle Ben." I say.
"I love you too, kid."