Alien

Recreating the savory and holy dish that your old world called ramen— from scratch— took more than a little effort. It took a whole other day, actually.

The goal was to exchange the delicious meal for physical labor, specifically to heat the furnace long enough to make iron. You all had spent the previous night building a bamboo food stand and preparing enough ramen for everyone in the village. It was for over forty people! It was so much work, you didn't sleep except for a couple power naps here and there. You weren't sure if anyone else had slept much better.

You were put in charge of numerous parts in the process, considering you had the most experience. Senku may be one smart cookie, but that didn't make him a good cook. Thanks to you, the noodles were much less crumbly and the meat turned out perfectly juicy. You'd also fine tuned the broth with just the right amount of salt.

At the moment, you were serving some elderly members of the village who'd been brave enough to cross the bridge for a taste of something new. They sat on some boulders not far from the ramen cart, a little tired after the walk, so you brought them some bowls with your best service worker smile spread on your lips.

"I've never had anything so flavorful in my life," remarked an older lady once she tried a sip. "However can we repay you, child?"

"Yeah," the white-headed and wrinkled man next to her added. He kind of looked like a dwarf. "This can't possibly be for free. What's the catch?" He hadn't tested the food yet, but hovered over the steamy soup as if enamored by the smell.

"Well," you started. "No, it isn't exactly free. But I don't think you guys are the kind of workers we're looking for, so don't worry."

You passed out chopsticks all around before turning around and saying, "Consider this one on the house!"

You were already back at the ramen cart before you realized they probably had no idea what that phrase meant.

As you came to stand beside the scientist, your eyes fell on a tense scene before you. Kohaku, Kinro and Ginro had their weapons drawn and pointed at a mysterious person who was trapped between the three of them. His hair was distinctly unsymmetrical, separated into black and white at the base and differing in length on each side. He wore a long purple coat, like a robe, and decently sewn kimono and pants underneath. In his hands was a still full bowl of ramen.

You clicked your tongue and put your hands on your hips.

"Now this is just bad customer service."

Prooobably not the best time to make a joke. But, in your opinion, that meant it absolutely was the best time to make a joke.

All eyes turned to you, including the stranger's. He had been saying something when you'd interrupted, so when he looked over, you could tell he'd been caught off guard.

You noticed his face was cracked.

"Oh!" you exclaimed as you realized it. "You're not from here."

The stranger stared at you with a squint in his eye. His feign of concern broke into genuine discomfort for a second before he quickly recovered and shot you a tense smirk. His voice was calm, but low and guarded.

"Neither are you."

You had been referring to the village, but had a feeling that wasn't what he was talking about. You said nothing and just grinned.