CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: Desire

New Home: Austin Farwell

_______

Sebastian's Perspective

It was late into the night. I sat on the couch with a sleeping Ominis and watched the flames of the fire dance over the wooden logs. I was the only one awake, the only sound in the room emerged from the crackle of the fire and the chirping crickets by the window.

The nightmares came too often, repetitive they were. Sleep has never been my friend since Anne was cursed. They've only intensified as she has gotten worse. My mind taunts me every night, never allowing me to rest.

My nightmares have recently been filled with Anne's impending doom if we don't get her that cure. I'm atop the hill where she was cursed, holding her limp body in my arms, cradling her to my chest. Her lifeless eyes stare back at me, no thought behind them. I took Anne's stiff, cold hand into mine. I held my twin until the last bit of darkness consumed her, her body dark as coal.

Anne was gone, now feeling a stranger's body held tightly to my chest. But then, she evaporates. Her body turning to dust, into nothing. I end up alone, closing my eyes every time trying to convince myself that this isn't real. But when I open them, I'm somewhere new. I'm next to the cottage, kneeling in front of Solomon's grave, but the tombstone isn't alone. Next to it stands an identical slab of stone, a different name engraved into it.

ANNE SALLOW

Felling sick to my stomach and my heart ready to burst out of my chest, I searched for my green jumper. Desperately feeling the need for fresh air as it felt like my nightmares were clinging tightly around my neck. The thought of seeing Anne's name on a headstone was suffocating.

I got up from the couch and went towards the bedroom area to grab my jumper. My eyes gazed upon it laying across the end of one of the beds. In that same bed was a peaceful, sleeping Eliza.

I pulled the jumper over my head and sat down on the bed's edge. Eliza was cuddled underneath the sheets, clinging onto them as she slept. As I sat, I watched how she occasionally scrunches her nose while she sleeps. Her shiny, brown hair was still in her typical braid and was laid out across the pillow. Her freckles moved across her cheeks each time her nose scrunched.

I began to lace up my boots when Eliza's breathing started to pick up. I snapped my head towards her to find her once peaceful state gone. Eliza brows furrowed and her eyes were squeezed tight. She started taking sharp breaths in.

"No." It came out in a panic-stricken whisper.

"Eliza, shh. I'm right here." I placed my hand on top of her ankle, rubbing it lightly with my thumb. I continued to do that until her breathing calmed and her eyes relaxed. She began to scrunch her nose again, finally looking at peace.

I quietly whispered, "You have nightmares too huh? You are a lot braver than me Eliza Bennet, able to fight them off every night I suppose and keep them to yourself."

It felt like I could confess things to her for the rest of the night. There was so much that needed to be said between us, so much I needed to tell her. I could just state my truth and share all my secrets right now, but she deserves to be awake to hear them.

Before I walked outside, I went over to the large round table and grabbed my conjured vase of Cornflowers. I walked back over to Eliza, placing them down on her bedside table. I moved a strand of hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ear. Her skin was soft, warm.