Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Perched atop his sleek black Chevrolet, the very embodiment of a monster impatiently awaited me outside the office. Glancing through my office window, I caught sight of his restlessness, boredom etching lines on his visage as time dragged on.

"You're such a fool, Clea. Look at yourself! So ecstatic!" Karen pinched me when she saw me peeping through the window.

My eyes shone with joy as I locked onto the maddening monster. There he stood, toying with his tongue, hands nestled in denim pockets-a vision reminiscent of mafia lords from books. His grace, his menace-a form that could challenge Mount Olympus itself. He was utterly, unforgettably mesmerizing.

I snapped my gaze away from my husband and smirked haughtily at Karen. "I'm happy he's waiting for me today."

I returned to my swivel chair and noticed Karen rolling her eyes back and forth in response to what I said.

"Sometimes, Clea, you should see if anything has really changed. Aren't you curious why he suddenly cares about you again?"

Of course I am. But what can I do after enduring years of hell with him? This is the only time I experience the bliss of heaven, as he touches me with his calloused hands and envelops me with his warmth.

"Clea... I'm happy to see you smile and happy, but I'm afraid he has something up his sleeve again to ruin you."

She added, shaking her head in disappointment. But what else can be ruined when he is my greatest turmoil, and I willingly embrace the havoc he brings?

I let out a sigh. "Ren, can't I be happy for once? I don't care how much pain he will cause me again, but can I feel Miguel, the one I loved before, once more?"

Tears welled up in my eyes. I've experienced and felt pain for too long. Can't I experience happiness again?

I know he's a monster. He killed me with his venomous spell, piercing my heart and soul, but I am a willing victim. It may be cliché to everyone else, but I would even catch a bullet for him. I am a martyr in love, and Miguel is my greatest downfall.

My friend slowly approached me, gave me a weak smile, and hugged me tightly. "I'm your friend; I just don't want you to get hurt again. I mean, you're always hurting."

She joked, making me pinch her, and we both laughed sloppily.

She released her embrace and sat in front of me. "When are you going to leave? He's been waiting to pick you up."

She raised an eyebrow, curiously taking some papers from my desk and flipping through them.

I shook my head and returned my gaze to the computer screen. "Twenty minutes, because I still have to finish a report."

I didn't see her rolling her eyes this time since I was focused on my work. But in my mind, I could picture her doing it. I guess it would be strange not to see Karen roll her eyes at me or anything else she doesn't like to see or hear.

She stood up and looked out the window again. I'm sure she was looking at Miguel, though I only saw her movements in my peripheral vision.

"If I were you, I'd leave now and go home with your beloved husband because people here are giving him nasty looks!"

She said this, forcefully pulling the curtain back and leaning against it, staring at me with her left eyebrow raised. It's strange to hear her speak so poetically.

"If you're concerned about your work, guess what? I'm your secretary, so leave it to me. Gad!"

She exclaimed, frustrated, and waved me away. I had no choice but to accept that my secretary was now acting like my boss.