CHAPTER 17

"Finally we were able to get back to the night life!"

Karen happily danced her way into the bar. I see a lot of cars in the parking area, and I'm sure the place is packed inside.

"There are so many people," I commented when we finally entered the hall.

"I'm sure you missed this. I'm happy that we're together again for a night out, Clea!" She said with a laugh, sounding slightly intoxicated.

Is she drunk? We just arrived, right? And she's acting like she's had a few bottles already because of her behavior!

"You seem drunk, Ren."

I shook my head. She quickly pulled me towards the bar counter, so I just went along. I almost stumbled because of the people we bumped into. My friend is getting wild despite not having her drink yet. She's acting crazy!

"Cheers for your freedom! For a little while." She let out a loud laughter, and even with the loud music, I could still hear her laughter clearly.

I abruptly drank the tequila, feeling its taste piercing through my throat. I should have done this before. To ask for temporary freedom.

I glanced at the crowd as neon lights enveloped the whole dance floor. I could only see shadows. I see faces, but because of the changing lights, I can't recognize them clearly, so I shifted my gaze away and downed another shot that my friend ordered, even though she's not drunk yet, but she's acting like she's had a few bottles.

"Witch, I'll just go to the dance floor. I'll find a handsome guy. Are you coming?" I quickly declined, receiving an annoyed look from her.

"I'll just drink, Ren."

"Suit yourself! Killjoy, it's not often we get to go out." She shouted at my face before swaying away from me towards the dance floor.

I just focused on the glass in front of me. The loud banging of music didn't help my peace of mind. Why did I agree to go out with my friend to get wasted and forget the pain because her crush doesn't like her? She's acting like a child! For pity's sake! We are twenty-four years old! Why does Karen still have a crush?

"You are drinking again." Someone sat and laughed beside me.

I quickly turned to look, and I was right. It's Anton. I always see him around, especially when I'm troubled. He's become my superman.

I laughed. "Yep! You're searching for a hookup tonight, hmm?" I asked him, scanning the area for his potential target.

He smiled and looked at me before shifting his attention to his surroundings. "No. I'm just here to watch over the woman I like," he said, not looking at anything but the glass of wine in front of him.

"Who? Approach her now! Someone might snatch her away." I kidded.

"She's already taken." He said softly.

"Well, the girl must not recognize how much treasure she will have, right?" I laughed to lighten the atmosphere.

I saw him glance at me before smiling with a mix of pain. I guess he really likes the person. Lucky girl.

"I have feelings for someone else. I can't force myself, right?" He said with a laugh, but I could sense the pain within him.

Anton, among Miguel's family, is the only exception. I don't like the attitudes of his other cousins. They're full of themselves, thinking everyone should bow down to them. Their family standards are like an unreachable great wall of China. They're not even great people. Fake and plastic.

"Cheers for the love we deserve but never have!" We raised our glasses.
Both of us are broken. Funny how people can control our hearts and break them instantly.