14. I am sad

"Iysa" I hear a loud voice calling me of none other than my dear husband, now what? I want this day to just end, I get up pull myself out of bed and walk out of the room, I can see Ahan on the stairs, he saw me coming and leaned back on the stairs folding his hands away.

"What the hell is this now, Maintain some cleanliness, Where did you step your feet in, Look at this mess," he remarked, My eyes travelled in the direction of his head, god The blood stains from my foot, were all over the stairs and entrance leading to my room, as I went up down several times, several stains were there on the polished white marble, god I forgot to treat my wound.

"My mom is coming with a few relatives here, you need to learn a lesson, clean this yourself before they arrive," he announced walking back into his room.

I get a mop and start cleaning fast, why do I make a fool of myself all the time, when will I learn to handle things? I got done with mopping and was about to go up when the bell rang, Must be Ahan's mom and aunts I think to myself and open the door.

"How are you?" Ahan's mom said as she pulled me into a hug, I don't think she likes me enough to hug me.

My eyes fell on the other two aunties who were smiling looking at Mom's gesture, I made way for all of them to come in and go to the kitchen to get everyone water.

"Ahan, feels like yesterday when you were racing your cycle and now here you are, so grown up and married, Time flies," One of them says as Ahan walks down the stairs, he must have figured out they have arrived with the noises. I go back in the hall with a tray of glasses and offer them water.

"Iysa, sit," Maa says gesturing for me to sit beside Ahan.

"So, Iysa how's married life like? I know must be hard for you that all of this happened so suddenly but I believe that whatever happens, happens for the greater good." One of the aunts said taking my hand in hers, it was the first time someone acknowledged me and how I had been through in this situation, and I smiled at her.

"It's going good-"

"Of course, it is, Ahan she got married to, the most eligible bachelor in the country, so many rishtas came for him and Iysa got married out of nowhere, it's her golden luck maybe," Another aunty says cutting me off. 

"Iysa go cook something, and let everyone have your first rasoi, Don't make anything too much, make gajar halva or any sweet of your choice and if you need anything call me." Ahan's mom says, signalling me towards the kitchen but I don't know how to cook, What the hell?

Not wanting to cause any more disappointment, I get up and go into the kitchen, I know what gajar halva tastes and looks like, so I take out the carrot peel out the other layer and then grate it into a dish. These are the only steps I actually know, The next what I do is just do guesswork, as this was an open kitchen everyone could see, every few mins Ahan's mom would look back at me and I would nod in the assurance of knowing what I am doing, finally i serve it in a bowl and take it towards them, with every step I take my heartbeat keeps in increasing, only god can save me today, I offer them one by one, Maa takes the first scoop of Halva, I close my eyes tight, hoping that it has turned out good enough.

"Iysa good attempt," the first aunt said as she took her first bite, it's weird how I don't know their names, the second aunt, on the other hand, did not say anything and Ahan just stared at me blankly, I can't decipher his expression but I can say that it's not something good.

"Ahan, your best friend is coming in two days, please convince him to marry now, doesn't even listen to me anymore, barely comes home, which part of the world he is in only god knows," the nicer aunty says cutting the tension in the room.

Yes, that's how I refer her now, nicer aunty.

"Aunty you know how Vedang is, let him have fun"Ahan replies with a genuine smile, god damn he looks good with a smile. Shut up Iysa.

"You know Iysa, Vedang and Ahan have been together since childhood, there's not a single thing they have not done together, Time flies seeing both of them grow up, today Ahan is married and settled and my dear son is god knows in which part of the world, "Nicer aunty says breaking into a chuckle.

"Iysa please bring water for everyone and take these bowls back, "Ahan's mom states diverting attention, I look down at everyones bowls, no one had eaten more than 1 bite except the nicer aunt whose bowl was empty. I put all the bowls in a tray and headed towards the kitchen to bring water.

"It's okay Iysa, not everyone can be good at everything, Kanika thinks everyone is Ahan, good at everything, don't let her be hard on you"the second aunt finally stated as she handed her glass of water, I could sense Ahan's mom's eyes over me.

"Of course, Nowadays cooking is not mandatory, knowing basics is enough, we did not have the option like you girls to make our name out there in the world, you should focus on your career, halva and all can wait" the nicer aunt states affirming the second aunt.

"Haha exactly, You must not have gotten time to learn all this between working, even my daughter does not even know A B C of the kitchen but who to blame, She works so hard, goes to the office at 8 and comes at 9-10, how to expect from her to cook and all, she does well for herself and that's enough"the second aunt drives the conversation forward.

"So Iysa where do you work at?Big4? Or your own firm?" the nicer aunt asks out of curiosity.

"She still studying some professional course, What was the name Iysa?" Ahan's mom replies and looks up at me.

"Company secretary" I reply.

"Ya ya that only"Ahan's mom says.

"Good good," Nicer's aunt says and tries to hide her real expression while the face of the other aunt clearly screams disappointment, maybe they thought too highly of me.

They talk a little more before we bid them goodbye, Ahan's mom closes the door and turns towards me while Ahan is unbothered and goes out to attend a call in the gallery.

"Iysa if you did not know how to cook, could have called me separately and told, me what is this behaviour, "Ahan's mom says clearly annoyed.

"Aunty, I did not want to disappoint anymore"I reply trying to stop my tears.

"You have disappointed enough, first your mom and now us, Spare my Ahan Iysa, I knew you were not anything great like your sister but I expected basic decency, if it were not for the situation we were in, I would have never chosen you for my son, "She spats.

"Why does everyone forget that I also did not choose this, My intention was never to be here"I reply, I can't take this anymore.

"But now you are here, be a little considerate and at least try to make things better, you are just making things bad day by day, I regret choosing you for my son, look at him, he does not talk to me straight, I have put him in this situation, he does not express but he is struggling to keep up with all of this and you are not even helping" her words break my heart, she sees her son struggling to keep up with me but what about me, I am also trying very hard, no one is belittling him, he has loving family and relatives, who do I have?

"Aunty-"

"Don't argue now, let a few months go, please Iysa don't do anything that would affect him or make him small in the eyes of people, he has worked very hard to get this far, I am a mother, I can't see him so sad and I understand you also don't want this, give me few months I will talk to him and his father about divorce and don't worry I will get you good money so that you can also move ahead in life, I wish good for you Iysa, don't take me in a wrong way, I will leave now?" She says as she picks up her purse to leave.