23. I am uncomfortable

As we sit in the car, Ahan roars his Mercedes while I struggle with the choker, it's beautiful but too heavy and big for my small neck, I try readjusting it but now it has started irking me. I give up after ten minutes, Ahan is busy driving and doesn't even try to make a conversation, I ignore him and start looking out of the window, Mumbai is beautiful.

We reach the parking I for the last time look in the rearview mirror and adjust my pallu, the choker I have completely given up, I pull the lock but Ahan stops me, I look at him with a question mark on my face.

"Turn around" he says, I want to ask why but I avoid it and turn my head towards the window, suddenly I feel his hand on my bare back, I try to turn around but he rests his hand on my shoulder signalling me to stay still, I feel the weight on my neck lifted out, I look down and realise that he removed the choker, slowly he gets it off me completely and puts it in the front car compartment.

"Learn to say no," he says as he opens his door and gets out, I start pondering upon it, have I ever said no to anything in my entire lifetime? I am pulled back to reality as I realise the door is being opened, I look up to find Ahan holding the door waiting for me to come out, I collect my saree and get up.He slams the door back and my eyes travel around, he takes my hand in his and we walk towards the lift.

The party seems to be in full swing, I tighten my hold on Ahan's hand as we enter the hall. He looks at me but doesn't say anything.

"So late" Aradhya comes and pouts looking at us.

"We came, don't complain now," Ahan says dismissing her pout, she laughs in response.

"Omg Iysa, you look so pretty, come let me make you meet my friends" she says pulling me away from Ahan. We go towards a group of people who are standing near the bar. I am extremely anxious and unsure how to converse. What will they think of me?

"Everyone, meet Iysa, Ahan's wife and Iysa meet everyone, this is Rima and her boyfriend Vidhan, this is Preya, one of the best designers in the market and my best friend, this is Aaila and Kashika, they are sisters and also my childhood friends, this is Roshik, Samarth's and ahan's college mate and also one of the board member, this is Vaani, she makes amazing art, you should see her gallery someday and this is Sashank, my brother," Aradhya states making me meet everyone, it would be a lie if I say I don't feel like an ant in front of these people, look at them so smart, so beautiful and so well articulated, I feel like a misfit.

"Hi Iysa, so glad finally got to meet you, had only heard about you in magazines and media" Vaani says passing me a drink.

"Likewise, I don't drink," I say with a light smile as I put back the glass on the bar.

"So what do you do, are you heading any branch of the company?" She asks further.

"I am still studying" I reply, I am just unable to form an answer more than a word.

"Vaani, we have come for a party, not an interview" Shashank interrupts lightening the mood.

"Where's Ahan tho?"Roshik asks.

"He's somewhere here only" I reply completely clueless, Roshik excuses himself and goes to find Ahan while everyone talks within themselves about something I can't even understand, Aradhya also goes to receive guests, I just stand there awkwardly.

"Guys, Iysa is here not talking only," Vaani says after a good five minutes of my awkward stand, I again am found dumbfounded and I just coyly smile unsure of what exactly to say.

"So Iysa how's being married to Ahan like? He never actually looked like someone who would even think of getting married?"Rima asks as she tries to include me in the conversation.

"He's a great husband, I am lucky to be his wife, my life has changed for the better" I say trying to put a neat image, only if I could tell the truth.

"Of course, your life is changed for the better, I mean Ahan, no one really knows his personal life, no one has actually seen his home except Aradhya and Samarth, he does not even come to informal parties like these unless Aradhya forces him, he actually has a soft corner for both Dhya and sam, of what I have seen he is very cold," Vaani says as she cuts in between.

"Iysa what's the real story tho? Is this really a love arranged kind of marriage?" Preya asks, this is the first time she has even paid attention to me, she looks very pretty, beautiful brown long waist length hair, she's wearing a brown cut out blouse with a mermaid ghaghra hugging her curves beautifully.

"Ah um, Yah" is all I could manage to say, why are these people so interested, I mean how is knowing this going to make a difference?

"Iysa" I hear Ahan's voice calling me out, never have I ever felt this relived by being called by him, I turn around and suddenly he snakes his arm around my waist.

"Ahan, we were just talking about you" Vaani says greeting him with a wide smile, while Ahan being Ahan does not smile back.

"We were just asking Iysa about your love story, now that you are here why don't you tell us" Rima asks him excitedly. 

"There's nothing to tell, this was an arranged marriage, over meeting we fell in love and here we are" Ahan says giving a composed smile, pulling me closer but his eyes are fixated on Preya, it's like he is doing all this to show her something, I could feel the tension between them as everyone shuts up and Preya looks directly in Ahan's eyes and so does Ahan. I realise I am just a commodity for him to prove something to this girl, he's using me to tell her something, I don't know what but I am not dumb, there is some history there and I can sense it.

"Love ha" Preya states gulping the whole glass of tequila.

"Yeh love" Ahan replies sternly.

"Now if you all will excuse me, I need to take my wife to introduce to other people" he states further and pulls me from waist without waiting for acknowledgement.

"Here you both are" Ahan's mom stops us midway, god please let her not ask about the choker.

"IYSA, where is the choker? Did you lose it, you silly girl? You know how expensive it was?-"

"Its in the car maa"Ahan cuts her off.

"Why?" she asks looking at me, I stay silent and look at my feet.

"It was uncomfortable, leave it maa" Ahan says as he pretends to smile to hid his annoyance from other people, his mother gets the clue as she doesn't say anything to me but makes a face and walks ahead.

"Meet Mrs Shastri, she's one of our biggest client and more like family" Ahan says introducing me to a lady in her mid thirties.

"Ahh so much formality, leave it for office Ahan, congratulations you two, such a lovely pair" she says greeting me.

"Thank you" I reply.

"Thank you actually, never had ever thought that Ahan would get married, you must have something special that he got wrapped around your finger," she said on a teasing note, I could suppress a blush, I know none of it is true but the way she says it makes blood rush to cheeks.

"Ahh didn't mean to make you feel embarrassed, you both should enjoy alone what is this party and all, newly married couple and you both are here on a weekend instead of a honeymoon in Maldives," she says further.

"We are still planning" Ahan replies.

"Ahh make it soon, making wife angry will be a very bad deal" she says breaking into a laugh.

I met 2-3 more of Ahan's clients and I was so tired at this point, I spotted his mom who didn't want to acknowledge me, Dhya was busy with her guests and Preya, seemed off. I keep pondering about it in the back of my head, is she Ahan's ex? or are they still in love but Ahan is stuck with me? Where will I get these answers? Will I ever get them?