Chapter 18

Lucas pulls me away from Griffin and he lays on the ping pong table groaning. Heather came to check on him but couldn't do much because she was too drunk.

"Heather, let's go," Griffin said, getting up and grabbing her arm.

"Aww, Griffy, I wanna stay! I'm having fun, please," Heather says, making puppy dog eyes at him.

Lucas and I chuckle at the nickname. Heather started bouncing and I had to turn around when he looked at her chest. Flashbacks started as Griffin rolled his eyes.

"Fine, but you will have to make it up to me when you get home." he said, dropping her arm, and wiping his hands before walking away. 

Heather shrugs and skips back into the house. Lucas started laughing, until I collapsed on the grass with exhaustion. Lucas lay down next to me, our shoulders gently touching, he looked really concerned as he turned to me. I kept staring up at the canopy of stars stretched out above us.

"Maya, are you okay?" Lucas asked softly, his voice filled with genuine care. 

I turned to him, I felt weary but also grateful that he would join me instead of trying to force me inside or home. 

"I'm just tired," I reply, whispering, "It's been a long week and that was the last of my energy."

Lucas nodded, and reached for my hand. I let him take it and he squeezed it tight. 

"You've been pushing yourself really hard. I admire your determination, but you need to make time for yourself too Maya." Lucas said.

I moved closer to him and turned to my side, I found so much comfort in just having him by my side. 

"I know," I admitted, sighing, "I just forget to breathe sometimes."

Lucas looked up at the stars and sat up. I sat up as well and put my head on his shoulder.

"You see those stars?" Lucas asked, pointing towards the sky, "Each one of them is a reminder that there's a whole world out there beyond all our universe. We just have to take a moment to appreciate it."

I followed where his finger was pointing and sat there admiring the stars for a bit.

"You're right. It's easy to get lost in the chaos that is my life, but in moments like this, under the stars with you, it feels like time stops and everything else just fades away." I said, taking his hand and leaning against his shoulder once more.

As the time passed with us sitting like that I slowly felt more and more calm. It was a much needed break from my hectic life. I found in that moment that Lucas was my anchor, the only thing keeping me to this earth. If it wasn't for him, I would have been gone a long time ago. If not by Griffin then by myself. 

"I'm so thankful for you Lucas. You're literally the only reason I'm alive right now. " I whispered, my eyes tearing up. 

"Hey, of course. I'm here to protect you, with everything from taking the tray out of the oven with my bare hands because you can't find an oven mitt to taking a bullet for you. I would do anything." Lucas says, and I kiss him on the cheek before, when I'm ready, going and joining the party again with him.

We navigate through people to find Sky. She walks over to us and I'm surprised at how sober she looks.

"Maya hey! So, tell me what's happened since we lost contact." Sky says, "Do you still see Dez, Zay and Riley?" 

"Riley and I see each other long enough to still joke around like we used to, but that's pretty much it. And Zay and I actually lost contact for a bit, which even I find hard to believe" I say.