Chapter 1

Onix's POV
Hi. I'm Onix Cross. Before you say anything....my name is gender neutral. "Onyx" is another way to spell it. I'm 16. I live with my brother, his wife, and my baby niece. I lost both of my parents due to me being taken away from them.

My brother is 10 years older than me. So that makes him 26. Jensen's wife, Makayla, is also 26. Their daughter, Winter, is 5. She's so adorable.

My relationship with both of my parents....was never good. Jensen always protected me. I was terrified when he was kicked out. When our parents were finally arrested for child neglect, Jensen immediately came and got me.

He's been my legal guardian ever since.

I felt someone jumping on my bed and opened my eyes. I saw my niece.

"Hi Aunt Nixie!"

"Hey kiddo."

She plopped down next to me. I sat up.

"Are you ready for the last day of school?"

"Yeah! I'm so excited for vacation!! I haven't been to the beach in so long! My mommy's getting ready."

"Okay. Are you ready?"

"No. I wanted to wake you up."

"Alright. Go get ready."

She hopped off my bed then ran away. I dragged myself to my bedroom door. I closed it then got ready for school.

I went to check on Winter. I knocked on her door and she opened it. I saw she was dressed and brushing her hair.

"Can you do my hair for me?"

"Sure."

I sat down on her bed and she sat in front of me on the floor. I started braiding her hair.

"Is that too tight?"

"Nope! Thanks!"

She jumped up and started hugging me.

"You're welcome Winnie. Let's go grab some snacks for the day."

I stood up and we started walking to the snack drawer. I opened it and we started going through it. I picked up a small snack bag of cookies.

"Is this okay?"

"Is there another one for you?"

I looked and didn't see one.

"No. It's okay though." I said with a smile.

"I'm fine with something else. Don't worry about me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm sure. Plus...aren't we going to get snacks for vacation later anyway?"

"Oh! That's right!"

She took the cookie snack bag out of my hands.

"Thanks!"

I started going through the snack drawer. I found a pretzel snack bag.

"Ah! I'll have these. C'mon. Let's make breakfast."

"Are you gonna eat it this time?" She asked with puppy dog eyes.

"Sure. I'll eat breakfast with you before school. I don't have lunch today since it's a half day for me too. What would you like to eat?"

I looked at the clock and saw the time. I saw it was 6:20 am.

"Wow. You're up extra early today. You should still be sleeping."

"Now we have time for pancakes!"

"Ah. I see what you did there. Do you want pancakes for breakfast?"

"Mhm!"

"Okay."

We grabbed everything and started making pancakes. Winter grabbed the syrup and started setting up everything. Makayla walked to the kitchen.

"Wow. The house smells good."

"Aunt Nixie is making pancakes! She said, she'll actually eat with me today! She's the best aunt ever!"

I smiled.

"Thanks. That means a lot to me Winter."

Winter started hugging me. I stopped what I was doing. I started hugging her. I finished making breakfast and we all ate.